Microsoft.Net Framework add on in Firefox

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by skratchmo, Jun 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skratchmo

skratchmo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So from what I can gather from here and other sites I've looked at, it is not harmful and it does not expose your computer to vulnerabilities like IE. The biggest beef that most people seem to have is that it was installed "without their knowledge or consent".

I already uninstalled it, but from the sound of it when MS updates again, or some time in the future, it will be re-installed. No big deal I guess if it doesn't harm anything. I still have no idea what the hell it does. FF looks and runs the same with/without it. Maybe I'll chalk it up to one of (my) life's great mysteries lol.

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mime with Tourette's

Reputations:
    No debate at all: MS did behind both FF's and the user's backs. Further, it did not have the ability to uninstall.

I brought all this up way back in late Winter (Link) when it was initally released and was more or less told that I was overreacting. Seems that once the press figured it out it was no longer an overreaction.

Regardless, there is a patch to .net 3.5 SP1 coming out fairly soon now from MS that modifies this to add the ability to uninstall it.

3. CooLMinE

CooLMinE Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeap, just got the update this morning through windows updates. Sadly it had to reinstall the addon (since i had it removed) in order for me to uninstall it again :p

4. qhn

qhn Notebook User

Reputations:
    I do not believe that MS did behind FF or users' back, just like many others add-ons of FF that install extra plug-in and add-on without warning (or in good hiding in disclaimer) to the users.

MS should have taken better consideration when having their utilities tagging on other browsers that are not IE.

I chalked this as a lousy add-on that is going to be fixed ...

cheers ...

5. davepermen

davepermen Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I said there are technical reasons why it isn't uninstallable. glad it got fixed btw.

I said you're wrong that you didn't get informed. but you didn't care to read the info (like about 100% of the users, including me. but actually, i still new months ago that they plan on this as it was all publically documented).

And i said that the security concerns you raised are based on wrong assumptions, mainly the thought of terrible activex from internet explorer. I stated that it has techincally NOTHING to do with it, and is a very safe component.

all you stated was "i have no clue what it's for but google sais it's bad so it has to be bad". how about INFORM YOURSELF WHAT IT REALLY IS FOR?.

and stop attacking me, it's useless :)

glad to see the update btw, so the last issue with it got fixed.

6. CooLMinE

CooLMinE Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you want to call someone uninformed email the thousand of people posting this info. So if you want to keep bubbling about FFClickOnce been flawless go ahead, just spare me cause i seriously cba with you :)

Assumptions are correct, its a plugin that microsoft added without telling people (verified today when it reinstalled with the sp1) and its possible to harm a newbies computer that dont really notice/care whats under they mouse button. Click yes on every popup and so on.

Im not attacking you, i clearly stated i didnt even want to discuss this with you in the first place. OP asked for a way to uninstall the plugin and some info about it, ive pasted a site (one of the thousand similar ones) which he could easily find with a single google search, with steps how to remove it and a ms link to an official one with the same steps. And then mr knight came along as always to justify why a plugin got stealth installed into a non ms product should be there for the average user.

7. davepermen

Reputations:
    no, he didn't "just asked about uninstallation", he asked this:

so he asked about knowing what it's about, leaving it or removing it, about security concerns spread over the web, etc. and i replied to my best knowledge.

and why do you reply to my post which tries to help the op while you don't even want to contribute? bad idea as you've seen :)

8. CooLMinE

CooLMinE Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What do u mean i dont want to contribute ? Last time i checked im the person that actually checked to find the info on how to remove it and what people thought about it. Now you are just being silly... What you posted is merely what you believe without backing it up with any proof.:eek2:

Shall we move this conversation in PM's only before we get beaten by a mod ? :p

9. davepermen

Reputations:
    you contributed, yes. but you stated you don't want to care about what i state. that's rather personal and non-useful.

and most of your statements contradict your other statements.

but yes, you posted links. those links don't explain what it is they just "omg, it must be evil". i explained what it is. as the OP requested. you stated by yourself you don't know what it is and you don't care. so you don't help the OP by it.

10. CooLMinE

CooLMinE Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Probably missed a few lines of what i wrote there :p

1) The reason i said i didnt care is to avoid THIS :p
    2) As i said i dont know exactly what it is, but thats why people post information on the web. And most people if they dont know something they search and learn. So, before i posted a link (i didnt just posted the first link i found), i made sure that a hundreds others agreed with it.

The only thing you did is, jumped in and stated that all those web sites (and repeating, hundreds of them) are false and they dont know what they are talking about...

And again, since we are actually talking to each other, cant we just move this to PM's ? Theres really no reason to book a thread just for us.. Its not like we have anything more to say in this matter, you said what you believed i did the same, now its up to the OP to decide, which apparently already did...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.