Microsoft Edge Beta (Chromium)

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Charles P. Jefferies, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I was an original Edge user for a while, but I switched to Firefox earlier this year when I heard Microsoft was transitioning Edge to Chromium. The Edge beta is pretty far along now, I've been using it about two weeks.
    https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/

So far, so good. It seems equivalent in page loading performance coming from Firefox. (Unscientific, just my impression.)

Something I really like about it, which I also liked about the original Edge browser, is the big right-click menus, especially when right-clicking on browser tabs.
    Another feature I've always liked about Chromium browsers is the paste as plain text option (Ctrl + Shift + V), which is invaluable to me as, for my work, I just about never want the source formatting to go where I'm pasting something.
    The dark mode is also nice, though I find it annoying that when you start the browser, it's white first and then changes to dark. Another minor annoyance is that pressing F6 takes you to the tabs. You have to press it twice to get to the address bar.

I know there [probably] are extensions to add some/all of the functionality I described to Firefox, but I like that they are built into the Edge browser without me needing to do anything.

Charles

Spartan and Papusan like this.
  2. vIkInG_w0w

vIkInG_w0w Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Same. I wanted to test out the Edge Chromium and got the Dev Build and it was pretty nice.
    F6-ing was one of the few issues I disliked too as well as some others that got fixed. One of them is uBlock Origin constantly needing to be "re-paired". For some reason its crashing and I need to re-add it from the Microsoft Extensions site. The UI is pretty nice as well.

Charles P. Jefferies likes this.
  3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Does Edge Chromium support Google sync?

4. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'm not sure. I got it syncing with my Microsoft account though, that works fine.

Charles

5. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    that's a Negative and a big deal breaker for me. You can only login with a Microsoft account.

saturnotaku likes this.