Microsoft Creators Update, April 11 , 2017 Rollout

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by 3Fees, Mar 30, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Ok, well maybe over time you'll gain a different perspective. I've noticed times where the VPN doesn't affect perceived speeds, and others where it does, using the same connectivity protocols and servers. As best I can tell it's load related.

If I pick a server "elsewhere" my latency can go from 14ms to 114ms, to 330ms, and even if "local" Speedtests (local to the server end) are fast, Speedtests to servers local to me aren't.

Too many variables for me to make a determination as to which connectivity protocol is best unless I do a number of A/B tests side by side during the same time period against the same servers, and average them across a few sessions.

Seat of the pants feelings for speed could have been bad given a worse timed test - during heavy usage times on that server you were connected to. :)

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    L2TP/IPSec has not posed any game-breaking issues for me so far, so I will use it, periodically checking in to see if the issues with OpenVPN have been resolved. As long as the service works without a severe degradation to my browsing, streaming, and downloading, I couldn't care less. You're going way deep into the weeds here.

hmscott likes this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Way deep into details you mean :)

Casual treatment of technical details is dangerous, just because it works ok now doesn't mean it's a good long term solution. One is not the same as the other after all.

Making a protocol decision deviating from your previous usage just because a Windows 10 update breaks your long term solution doesn't make it a good situation, it's a temporary work around at best.

Maybe being forced to use a different solution helped you find a better solution, but it's an accident caused by a bug in a Windows 10 update, so the solutions should be explored in more detail rather than simply "going with the flow".

It's a major bug in the Creator update, and a potential stoppage for people depending on OpenVPN to work.

Please do report back what you find long term, and when OpenVPN starts working again.

So it's good to know, thanks for reporting it. :)

Seems some people are ok after the upgrade, others not so much. Somethings fixed, somethings not so fixed. Pretty much SOP for MS in the middle of forming an OS in real-time.

It was the same on Windows 7, more so on Windows 8-8.1. Now that those versions of Windows are feature completed and mostly bug fixed, it's nice and quiet there... peaceful even...

Windows 10 Creators Update problems
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-creators-update-problems-issues

Windows 10 Creators Update reported issues: Here’s what’s broken
    http://windowsreport.com/windows-10-creators-update-bugs/

THE 8 MOST COMMON PROBLEMS WITH WINDOWS 10 CREATORS UPDATE, AND HOW TO FIX THEM
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-creators-update-problems-fixes/

Why you shouldn't rush to install the Windows 10 Creators Update
    https://betanews.com/2017/04/07/dont-rush-to-install-windows-10-creators-update/

Windows 10 Forced Update Starts Causing Problems

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...oft-windows-10-upgrade-problems/#28ca33b420fd

Massive Windows 10 Update Has Two Nasty Surprises
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...-10-creators-update-changes-ads/#7d0afea521c3

Microsoft Continues Working on Windows 10 High DPI Issues with Creators Update
    Posted on April 4, 2017 by Paul Thurrott
    https://www.thurrott.com/windows/wi...ng-windows-10-high-dpi-issues-creators-update

Windows 10 Creators Update common installation problems and fixes
    http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-creators-update-common-problems-and-fixes

Papusan, Atma and 3Fees like this.
  4. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    Unless there are performance gains from doing the update, I ain't updating at all.

All of these features don't interest me a bit, but the problems are scary.

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  5. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    @Phoenix - can you test with OpenVPN to see if you're experiencing the same problems I am? The issue is most prevalent on sites like Amazon and eBay. Connect and see if pages are taking a long time to load. On Chrome, it gets hung up on the "resolving host" portion.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
    I did a clean install last night using the latest win10 download with this Creator update, But i ran into problems booting from my mSATA SSD.
    My computer came with an 1TB 2.5HDD, I found an mSATA slot on the motherboard and i fitted an 256GB SSD, Now you cannot boot from an mSATA SSD so Windows boots from the HDD and then switches to the SSD where Windows is installed, and this has worked great, I have done around 20 clean installs constantly dowloading and installing the latest version of Windows.

But yesterday i downloaded the latest version of Windows with the creator update, everything installed fine but on reboot i got the message my OS could not be detected, I think it`s looking for my OS on my 1TB HDD and not checking the 256GB SSD where it is installed.

Once i get this OS not found message, if i reboot and press esc a few time it will boot into my OS, but i have to do this everytime i restart my computer.

I have redone the clean install a couple of time and i get the same booting problem, So i have been forced to dig out on old version of Win10 and after installing it, everything is back to normal.

So if you have you OS on an mSATA SSD this Creator might cause you boot problems if you do a clean install.

John.

hmscott likes this.
  7. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    I did find a couple areas where scaling on ultra-high-resolution displays is still not correct. They're mostly in legacy things, like in the network connection properties for your NIC where you can manually set DNS and DHCP, enable/disable various network protocols, etc. This is like, Windows 98-era interface stuff.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    hmscott likes this.
  8. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Papusan likes this.
  9. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    I actually just reverted back from CE... was starting to get plagued by odd BSOD :/

Papusan, Atma and hmscott like this.
  10. Althernai

Althernai Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My laptop automatically installed this today resulting in a completely bizarre problem: the "This PC" Documents and Pictures links now pointed to OneDrive. Messing with the OneDrive settings didn't help. The way I eventually fixed this was by editing the registry (see link for the correct folder to use, although the values that need to be edited are pseudo-random strings which are not mentioned on that page). I hope it doesn't change the values back as part of another update.

This proves once again that the entire idea of integrating a specific backup storage solution directly into the operating system is catastrophically stupid when the available backup space is of order 1% of the device storage (or even less). It's just asking for something like this to happen.

Papusan, jaug1337, hmscott and 2 others like this.