Microsoft announces Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Dr. AMK, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Microsoft announces Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations is a high-end edition of Windows 10 Pro, comes with unique support for server grade PC hardware and is designed to meet demanding needs of mission critical and compute intensive workloads.

7902879a6ca661d2c214a163fe79f8ab-1024x576.jpg

alexhawker and hmscott like this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So at the moment Ryzen/TR isn't listed in Hardware support.

hmscott and Dr. AMK like this.
  3. Dr. AMK

Reputations:
    They said:
    "Our architectural changes in the Windows kernel take full advantage of high-end processors families, such as Intel Xeon or AMD Opteron, that package a high number of cores in single or multi-processor configurations."

But I think the TR will be supported as well. It's related to the number of cores.

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah most likely.

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    So is Pro the version without any spying / telemetry?

How nice that would be, paying for what we used to get for free - for being free US Citizens, rules based on our Constitution and Bill of Rights, it's all finally being commercialized, one section at a time.

The AMD and now Intel new architectures must have some optimizations possible that Microsoft could implement, even though they have broad support for similar elements as described.

Time will tell, I hope AMD gets MS to implement their optimizations, and they don't get "thread blocked" by Intel striking a deal with MS.

Can we buy a Pro license as an upgrade like before with a one time cost, or is this one of those pay yearly perpetual screw jobs?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  6. Dr. AMK

Reputations:
    I think,,, Spying is a part of almost every single technology, politicians are behind and controlling all technology owners, Intel, AMD, Cisco, Google, Microsoft, Oracle, Facebook, Twitter, name it. All are tools and arms. Maybe I'm wrong, or I hope so.

The war between Intel and AMD, using Microsoft or other hardware partners, the war will be resolved by politicians as well.

Regarding to the licenses, I don't know yet all details, but will make sure how it will be and update the thread.

Papusan, Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    There seems to be an overwhelming incentive offered to sell out their fellow citizens, as evidenced by so many otherwise reputable companies turning against all of their customers and disabling all security supporting their privacy.

Even if the Pro stuff comes with this stuff disabled, it's likely all still there in the binary, waiting for a remote trigger or other update to re-enable it.

Hopefully someone will come out with configured firewalls with ongoing updates to stop this and other data leakage from business and personal networks.

Papusan, Vasudev and Dr. AMK like this.
  8. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    No, pro has it, enterprise doesn't. Same with update control. Pro for workstations seems closer to enterprise, but also has some network controls found in 2016 server, so it will likely give the control like enterprise edition.

It also has ReFS. So...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Dr. AMK, Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  9. lostguy

lostguy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can someone please explain the different between " Windows 10 Pro workstation", " Windows 10 Enterprise" and "Windows Server". I am very confused. Wouldnt this Version of Pro for workstation will compete again windows server???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Dr. AMK

Reputations: