microsd for games viable compared to ssd?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hertzian56, Aug 29, 2020.

1. krabman

krabman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mine is on the PCI express bus and it performs poorly for this purpose even with the fastest media money can buy. This is one of those things where when you think about it you realize that if it worked well everyone would be doing it.

2. aarpcard

aarpcard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's only my personal experience, but the load times when loading a game from the SD card versus loading the same game from a dedicated game cart on the Switch are far worse when loading from the SD card.

Another point of comparison (however it might not be an exactly fair comparison) is loading the Witcher 3 from the game cart on the Switch takes a good couple of minutes. However loading the Witcher 3 from an SSD on the PC is nearly instantaneous.

If you're going to try this, at least use a USB 3.0 flash drive. Should perform much better than an effectively USB 2.0 SD card.

3. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  4. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I tried to move 60GB of music to a 200GB mini SD card last night and this morning it was still transferring. About 5 hours?

Not optimistic about its use for games but if anyone gives it a shot would still love to hear about it, especially if its USB 3.0, 2.0 just wouldnt hack it imho.

5. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    If you get a newer SD card with the proper ratings those speeds should pick up. Even if it's listed as a C10 on the card if it's an older card then it's not going to have the performance boost of the newer cards like I linked above.

I have a ton of these cards laying around from over the years and they all perform at different speeds depending on the additional specs implemented at the time. C10 though in general supports 10MB/s whereas the newer cards designed for apps can see upwards of about 100MB/s w/o going into extreme territory for price/performance over $100's of dollars for pro prhotog's with raw images.

6. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Im waiting for the PCIe enabled cards to finally hit the market, would be lovely

7. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Not sure what you're talking about as there are tons of PCIE adapters for different cards / formats whether you're taking M/2 SATA or NVME or port multipliers for SATA drives. There are even SD applications that plug into PCIE slots as expansions or front panel slots. SD is just a format for consumer electronics that are portable / low power requirement due to being on battery power.

8. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Not an adapter, a pcie based SD card. There were demos for it not too long ago.

I don't care much for nvme, I don't have workloads dense enough for it.

9. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  10. TheReciever

Reputations: