microsd for games viable compared to ssd?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hertzian56, Aug 29, 2020.

1. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    One of my older hdd's is dying, it was for games only.

--I was checking around and I remembered that this pc has a microsd slot in it, and you can get a 256 GB microsd card for 40$ and a 128gb for $20, cheaper than a lot of ssd's in the same size range. Anyone done that? Are speeds while gaming and reliability as good for microsd over possible ssd replacements?

Defraggler says the random speed of a sandisk ultra plus 16gb microsd I had laying around is 13MB/s in that slot. 850EVO ssd is 64MB/s internal slot, kingston 240gb ssd 44MBs, wd 1tb hdd 1.31MBs, 125gb msata samsung 37MBS, dying 8 year old seagate drive is 1.34MBs. So it's a decent speed upgrade from the hdd's but much slower than the ssd's. I was fine with the gaming on the hdd and the 1tb wd hdd I have in here is also fine for gaming. But the benefits of 13x the speed for open world and heavy loading games might be good enough.

2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    But wouldn't there be some more lag from the USB overhead?

On its face I don't see why not but have not personally tried. I have a 200gb minisd card at home but I'm out working on my car right now

3. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The reliability, speed and endurance of flash drives are typically low compared to SSD NAND, you could do it though I would imagine but you would be much better off just buying an SSD to replace the dying drive, they are rather inexpensive these days.

4. ratchetnclank

ratchetnclank Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Also remember that the microSD card doesn't have a built in controller nor any dram so it will choke under load and performance will drop massively.

I wouldn't recommend it.

Mr. Fox and saturnotaku like this.
  5. hertzian56

Reputations:
    The reason to try this was because in a laptop there are limited internal drive bays, I use my usb3 to sata cable all the time for smaller ssd's, hdd's on an external plugin basis. Another reason is that I can take my games with me and play them on other systems by simply just plugging in the microsd or with the usb3tosata cable to the other computer. My laptop has a direct plugin for microsd devices no need for usb use to connect it.

-----I've already put in an existing ssd to that internal slot, so there is no more room for another internal drive other than the microsd slot. The dying hdd drive actually has been fine since I took it out and just use it as needed with my sata to usb3 cable. SSD's are about 70 for 500gb and 120 for 1TB(in the store brand new) but if I only want to put 2-3 big games on non-heat producing-portable- media 128 or 256gb is fine.

---But using diskmark it does seem like it would be pretty slow, read speeds for the sandisk 16gb ultra plus were about 22Mbs whereas my 1TB WD HDD were about 66Mbs. This is a pretty old microsd though, the new ones in the store say at the minimum up to 100Mbs of which I would guess that means around 80Mbps real world. Idk I'll certainly try it and see for $20, at the very least the large size of microsd's now make it a very viable storage device for laptops.

6. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Just depends on how the mSD card slot is hooked up, I owuld imagine many of them are just hooked to a USB 2.0 controller, not sure what the landscape is like for recently released stuff but I did like that PCIe micro cards were hitting the tech sites, not sure if that is on the shelves yet.

7. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    As mentioned before, though, without any sort of cache, performance of an SD card will tank when hit with lots of reads and writes.

8. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Yeah I suspected that's what was meant and it's likely but I do have one of those adapters for microsd/sd for usb. I might try that in testing read speeds to confirm(usb2 speeds for both or not) with diskmark, this old machine has two usb3 slots but I'm pretty sure this cheap usb adapter is usb2. Not sure I could run down those techspecs on such an old machine.

Eh I'm adapting and as I mentioned for some reason the dying disk after taking it out and using it as external and running chkdsk on it has been fine playing games etc Important stuff is backed up already.

Ah well maybe I'll pass then, I did notice how agonizingly slow it was to just copy about 3gb file over to the microsd. How does nintendo switch do it then? I assume the branded microsd for that is for mostly storing games?

Right so if nintendo switch can do it with the same speed cards I'm certainly going to try, too bad no one had any real world experience with it though should have just stipulated that before soliciting opinions.

9. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You're doing an awful lot of trying to justify it, just go for it and know that it may not perform well and may have endurance issues.

10. TheReciever

Reputations:
    What kind of controller does the switch use?

Thats more important for your comparison. Not knocking it really, just that it may be in USB 2.0 medium. You can probably find that out on your machine.