Mice for laptops

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by M17XR42012, Mar 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M17XR42012

M17XR42012 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am in a rock and a hard place. I have multiple laptops, they all have blue tooth (Great right?). But I still use my Logitech M325 with a radio because my experience with Blue tooth mice has been less than perfect. The problem is that I have that stupid USB Radio thing taking up one of my USB ports and it is a royal pain.

I have looked at the new Logitech MX Mobile mouse with darkfield, but again, I need a stupid USB adapter for it to work (with the radio).

Then the other concern..... battery life. In my experience, at least a few years ago, the battery life on blue tooth mice is also crappy.

Then, there are the issues of what I need the mouse for. I am looking for an accurate wireless mouse for pixel by pixel photo editing, that also works for office, email and gaming.

I am using Alienware hardware with RGB lighting and Razer mechanical keyboards. I would love a matching Razor mouse, but I hear so many bad things about their wireless mobile mouse and I am tired of Microsoft and Logitech's junk.

What options do I have in 2017?

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I tried Bluetooth mice some years ago and the biggest problem was that they would randomly disconnect and sometimes it was a hassle to reconnect them.I recently bought the Bluetooth version of this Kensington mouse on the basis that it was released relatively recently (Jan 2015) and might be better technology than the 5+ year old Bluetooth mice. I haven't used it a lot but it didn't, so far, misbehaved. Although Kensington call it a mobile mouse it is a big beast compared with my preferred portable mouse (Logitech M187) but I couldn't find a similarly small recent Bluetooth mouse.

Life would be easier for users if notebook manufacturers would provide an internal USB type A expansion port which people could use for their mouse dongle or a small flash drive. I have an empty M.2 slot which, I believe includes a USB port in the wiring but I couldn't find a USB to M.2 adapter or an up-to-date guide on DIY. Here's what someone did a few years ago. Something like this but containing a USB type A socket would meet my needs.

John

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    Wormwood likes this.
  3. Wormwood

Wormwood Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm still using an MX518 and have been for... Way too many years.:confused:

4. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If your laptop has a spare mini pci-e slot that is not being used, you can always get a mini pci-e to usb adapter (about $5 on ebay) and plug in a mouse's rf nano receiver there. I'm not a fan of BT mice myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.