Metro Exodus devs threaten to discontinue Metro on PC if Epic Games sales flop

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hmscott, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @hfm - thank you for going through all of that effort.

I respectfully disagree. It's not a "mugging," it's market capitalism--which is an area that Valve has excelled in over the past several years, to the point of making Steam a virtual monopoly. Koch Media was under no obligation to sell its product through that monopoly, regardless of whether Valve gave them some free publicity. Is it unfair to Valve that Epic lured Koch Media's product away? Sure. It's also unfair that Valve has a monopoly to begin with.

Epic may not be the good guys, but neither is Valve. At the end of the day, these companies are all vipers looking to make as much money as possible, and all of them will be as anti-consumer as the law and the market allow them to be. Better for us if that market has some competition between a few vipers than for one of them to control everything itself.

The below article is a good read - old but still relevant, because history appears to be repeating itself, once again to Valve's benefit:

Valve is not your friend, and Steam is not healthy for gaming: The illusion behind the “Good Guy Valve” reputation
    https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/16/15622366/valve-gabe-newell-sales-origin-destructive

A sample:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Mr. Fox and hmscott like this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Please don't forget to thank @NuclearLizard for his efforts too. :)

I still think we don't know what Epic's Launcher was doing on his PC that caused the effects he was seeing, or the larger CPU and network traffic than was reported by @hfm - which he did today... while @NuclearLizard 's problems were over a week (or more?).

Making a quick effort to disprove @NuclearLizard 's and many others reporting similar problems, isn't enough to convince me Epic's launcher isn't a crazy POS that's not to be trusted.
    I clearly specifically said that the method used to extricate Metro: Exodus from Steam done by Deep Silver was the mugging, everything else is more bad business, the main complaint was the going back on the commitment to Steam.

Ripping off a committed business partner in broad daylight, skedaddling off with the goodies, taking back their bag of marbles committed in play is a infantile thing to do, every school boy knows that.

The rest of your argument is simply trying to justify Deep Silver's BS actions, and there is no justification possible.

An apology to Steam customers and Steam, putting Metro: Exodus back on Steam for $39.00 - $10 less than it is selling for on Epic, and promising future business partners that Deep Silver will never stab a partner in the back again, would be a minimal start at recompense for their bad manners.

3. hmscott

Reputations:
    Why Players Hate The Epic Game Store
    Forge Labs
    Published on Feb 5, 2019
    Why Players Hate The Epic Game Store
    Between Steam, Origin, UPlay & The Epic Game Store, there are a lot of game launchers and stores. However, The Epic Game store has been subject to a lot of criticism after developer Deep Silver announced that the upcoming title Metro Exodus will launch exclusively on The Epic Game Store, despite being advertised to fans on Steam prior. There are plenty of reasons why players hate The Epic Game Store. This Forge Labs video explains why that is.

Prototime likes this.
  4. Prototime

Reputations:
    Indeed, thank you as well, @NuclearLizard

I'm not trying to justify anything, other than perhaps my own feelings of indifference over Valve losing some sales, and a preference for market competition. I acknowledged that Deep Silver's decision was unfair to Valve. But I'm not going to get worked up about it because I also think that there is no justification possible for Steam--not as it currently exists.

It's unfortunate how consumers are so attached to Steam that they are willing to constantly look the other way and give Valve a pass despite its pervasive anti-consumer, anti-developer, monopolistic behaviors---and even more unfortunate that the same consumers will also come down like a sledgehammer on any would-be competitor who does anything unseemly at all. I'm sure the Epic Games Store is destined fail because of it. And we, as consumers who enjoy cutting off our noses to spite our faces, will be none-the-better when it does.

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Yup, Epic deserves to fail after trying this BS move to steal business from a competitor with complete disregard for consumers, developers, and in the end the publisher themselves are gonna get stung long term from taking the pay-off to dump Steam.

It's plain and simple, one of our long time favorite IP's, lovingly crafted and supported by the developer over many years, well presented by Steam who supported both consumer and developer, with Steam rewarding the publisher with front page exposure for their new game that can't be bought. To have Deep Silver disregard such goodwill is insane.

Then Epic / Tencent comes along with a bag of cash to buy off that relationship with bad intentions - that publisher Deep Silver got tricked into betraying a long time partner, and they are going to have trouble doing business with anyone else because of their screw-up in handling a very valuable IP.

IDK how big of a bag of cash Tencent / Epic gave Deep Silver - maybe even a promise to make up the losses between actual sales and projected sales through Steam should the public turn against the idea - which Epic / Tencent will never pay out.

Seriously, I really think Deep Silver is gonna panic when this all comes to a head - when sales tank - and the developer threatens to jump ship to other representation.

This whole thing could literally turn into the worst business screw up in gaming history.

The good that can come out of this is that the "Deep Silver" Smoking Crater formed by the Epic Store failure would be a warning to future mustache twirling Villain's that "crime doesn't pay". ;)

6. Prototime

Reputations:
    Except for Valve. "Crime" pays Valve handsomely.

I wish that we consumers would get just as worked up about Valve's dirty deeds and decide that Steam also "deserves to fail" because of them. If we don't, then we should be just as tolerant when someone else comes along and pulls their own shenanigans. But instead, we let Valve get away with murder, and we execute any potential competitors whose records are anything less than spotless.

...and then we complain about how Steam is the only option. :confused:

Anyway, I doubt that you and I are going to see eye-to-eye on this, and I'll let you have the last word on it, if you'd like. Thanks for keeping our chat civil; that's a rarity on the internet these days.

hmscott likes this.
  7. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just curious, what Valve's dirty deeds are you referring to? The paid Skyrim mods?

8. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not sure how real this is but I trust the source, he is usually pretty good at vettting things. And if he issues a retraction I will edit/delete the posts.

Your game will still work on steam provided you preorder but you can't preload like you normally can. RIP gametime. [​IMG]

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    Metro Exodus | Ditches Steam and Tells the Fans to Suck it Up
    21Kiloton
    Published on Feb 4, 2019
    Metro Exodus has been heavily promoted on Steam for many months, then 2 weeks before launch, the publisher Deep Silver pulls the game for an exclusive distribution deal with Epic Games Launcher. Needless to say, the internet has gone wild.
    Curiously, the physical copies including the pre-orders will be shipping with Epic Games codes in the box, leading some people to assume that Deep Silver may have had this deal in the bag for some time now. Many Steam users who didnt pre-order before the deadline are somewhat upset about being forced to use "that trashy Fortnite launcher". Something they never signed up for. The plot thickens.

Epic Games Store is Not the Competition PC Gaming (Steam) Needs
    Griffin Gaming
    Published on Jan 30, 2019
    Metro Exodus is now officially and Epic Games Store exclusive and has been removed from Steam. This is not the type of competition we need in the PC Gaming market to counter act Steam. Timed Exclusivity benefits no one except these different PC gaming platforms. These platforms should compete by providing the best features and user experience instead of restricting third party games from the other platforms. This is in no way the competition anyone wanted from the Epic Games Store. This overall is bad news for the PC Gaming market and the consumer. I will not be purchasing any games from the Epic Games Store until Epic stops with this timed exclusivity BS. LEt me know your thoughts.

This one's a bit older, from before this latest debacle, but I was remembering it and looking for it because it foreshadowed the Anti-Consumer events that followed.

Epic's New Store Is Anti-Consumer, Under-Cooked and Dividing the PC Community
    Laymen Gaming
    Published on Dec 12, 2018
    Recent news has broke on exclusive content that will be on the Epic Games Store.. and the real question is, is this good for the PC master race?...

10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Since I would prefer to have everything on Steam and be done with all of the other apps out there, I was kind of pissed off a little bit at first. But, after seeing all of the drama and Steam crybabies whining about it, now I almost want to buy it from Epic just to irk them.
    Yeah, this is definitely the part that I don't like. Kind of messy to have all those game clients. I'd prefer to just have one for all games.