Metro Exodus devs threaten to discontinue Metro on PC if Epic Games sales flop

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hmscott, Feb 3, 2019.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Epic Store Boss Calls Paradox “Greedy” After Publisher Removes Bloodlines 2 from EGS Sale
    David Dominguez / 1 day ago
    https://www.gamingonpc.com/general-...publisher-removes-bloodlines-2-from-egs-sale/

Ha, when a group of similarly minded souls get together, and fight over the best way to get the last dollar. Ya gotta love it when a plan doesn't come together.

"Hey, ya gotta's play da game right, or da sucker's will catch on, capeesh? Wink Wink."

Given enough time they'll all compete ["out smart" each other] for the last scraps instead of working together in a mutually trusting way to the benefit of all.

That's why Steam and the other's can sit back and watch the clown show and not worry about it.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    JRE84 likes this.
  2. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ah hahaha... hmscott you sir are is awesome

hmscott likes this.
  3. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    :)) Not hard at all, I guessed on the first try

hmscott likes this.
  4. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hopefully they tank or straighten up soon.
    I'm good with either. Lol

Honestly I laughed my ass off as I heard about people being banned for buying games too fast or buying games to gift friends.

Particularly because as my friend told me I was busy buying out steams Warhammer section at once.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Steam sales are awesome :)

Publishers PULL OUT & Suspicious Price Changes: Epic’s Mega Sale Misfire
    Bellular News
    Published on May 17, 2019
    Epic have done what Epic do: bungle up communications and leave everyone confused!

EGS, if they weren't so evil, they'd be cute the way they keep messing up. ;)
    31ebj5.jpg

This video is viewable only on reddit:
    https://old.reddit.com/r/****epic/comments/bqhed5/i_thought_you_guys_would_like_this/
    Remember to replace the **** with the "bird" word...

Updated Steam vs Epic Feature Chart
    IaZON3i.png

It's almost as if Epic Games is trying to single-handedly destroy the PC Platform.
    submitted 13 hours ago by Amnail
    https://www.reddit.com/r/****epic/comments/bqmjyo/its_almost_as_if_epic_games_is_trying_to_single/
    Remember to replace the **** with the "bird" word...

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    cucubits likes this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    The Epic Game Store has no shopping cart, but if you buy individual games too quickly your account gets blocked... amazing way to encourage purchases - during a Mega Sale.

Epic Games Store Will Block Your Account If You Buy Too Many Games Too Quickly

Luke Plunkett, Yesterday 7:30pm
    https://kotaku.com/epic-games-store-will-block-your-account-if-you-buy-too-1834905266
    https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/br38t0/epic_games_store_will_block_your_account_if_you/

Edit: Missed this one (darned YT subscriber alarm disabled), it's quite good, covers the material with a light hearted humor, but doesn't miss a trick...

The EPIC STORE SALE is a Complete DISASTER!!
    HeelvsBabyface
    Published on May 21, 2019
    The EPIC STORE is having it's first major sale and it's turned into an utter disaster. Companies are removing games, raising prices to compensate for the sale and to cap it all off people are having their accounts locked after only 5 purchases!! What is going on??

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  7. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Seriously, did someone even beta test the freaking thing?
    Was Epic launcher made by some school student? It's 2019 and their launcher lacks some serious functionality...

hmscott and NuclearLizard like this.
  8. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    Interestingly, I got a different read than both the article author and the video commentator on the 2nd follow up quote from the article:

Metro Exodus publisher says the Epic store is its “leading digital platform” in unit sales [wrong, console sales were greater than PC sales]
    https://www.pcgamesn.com/metro-exodus/sales

"“Epic Games store has exceeded our expectations in terms of sales in actual units of both Metro Exodus and Satisfactory during the quarter,” Wingefors tells us. “Epic Games store is in fact the group’s leading digital platform in terms of revenue generated by units sales in the quarter ending March.”"

I don't blame them for missing it, as the meaning rely's on a careful parsing of the statement. Let's break it down further...

"...the groups leading digital platform in terms of revenue generated by units sales..."

That part in bold is the key, and simply means that each unit sold generates more revenue on the Epic platform than the other platforms, - which we already know is 88% - which is a higher cut than any other platform, including consoles - which are 70% cut for digital and 50% cut for physical.

Removing the double plural makes it easier to catch: "...in terms of revenue generated by unit sold...".

It's the way it's worded that is meant to misdirect and confuse - making the reader read into it what they expect to read.

We still don't know what the actual sales numbers were for each platform, and of course they'll never know how many they would have sold if they had kept the game on Steam, the platform it was advertised on and pre-sold on - before it was ripped off from Steam and put on Epic at the last minute.

The article also quoted just before the above quote:

"During its latest financial results, THQ Nordic noted that Metro Exodus sales made it “the largest game launch” in the company’s history, but that the “absolute majority” of those sales were on console. Many fans of the historically computer-focused series took that to mean PC players had abandoned the game over its Epic store exclusivity, but CEO Lars Wingefors says that’s not the case. "

As shown in the video the previous Metro releases sold far more "units" on PC than console:
    Epic Metro Exodus flop.jpg

10. hmscott

Reputations:
    I thought this should belongs here...
    submitted 17 hours ago by hwhite333
    https://www.reddit.com/r/****epic/comments/bsuxse/i_thought_this_should_belongs_here/
    i0p81fn18d031.jpg
    https://twitter.com/cennxx/status/1128408696139198464'

It's nice to see a developer voice their position, and to be so open and pure in their responses. Even though there are a number of negative spins on her comments - trying to belittle or reduce the impact of her statements, in the end the overwhelming customer response is of positive support and appreciation.

cj_miranda23 likes this.