Metro Exodus devs threaten to discontinue Metro on PC if Epic Games sales flop

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hmscott, Feb 3, 2019.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Of course they are all different items:

Epic Store Privacy Invasion
    Epic Store Data Collection
    Epic Store Insecurity
    Epic Store lack of features
    Epic / Tencent leading Publishers and Developers astray into bad business practices
    Epic / Tencent feeding Chinese controlled data collection through the Great Wall of China
    Epic / Tencent reflecting the CCP desire to buy off and control all it touches, Gaming is only one small aspect, but it gives the CCP direct access at Admin level to PC's with the Epic software installed.

With all of those individual yet connected disasters feeding into the same problem with an easy solution, Epic's Game Store is a bad idea to get involved with, don't get involved with Epic's Game Store.

It's pretty simple, I am surprised you find it confusing, or that you think I am making it confusing.

I'm pretty sure everyone here understands that each individual Epic / Tencent / Dupe problem is a disaster unto itself, but all lead back to the CCP and Chinese control solely interested in buying up and owning whatever they can without any respect or consideration to the problems they cause for all the gamers out there.

You did find some of what those posts mention, but no where near all of it or in the same depth, and what they did find confirms data collection activities collecting data from the system.

Whether you are ok with Epic / Tencent doing that or not, it's a data leak of personal and system information - along with Steam data for your activities and friends data - along with who knows what else, because it's encrypted - remember? you couldn't read the network traffic, so you have not proven it's safe at all, in fact you confirmed it's not safe.

It's simple - Don't Install Epic's software f you don't want Epic's software to be able pass on personal and steam data - not to mention it's got admin access to the system so it can go anywhere and do anything at any time the software can update installs with worse acting software, and you wouldn't even know it's happening.

I don't trust Epic / Tencent, and I can't see how any one can trust them enough to install the Epic Store software. Their business practices show them to be unscrupulous and without ethics, and I expect their intentions overall to be untrustworthy.

The answer is simple, don't install Epic software, don't give them money to feed their plans, stay away from Epic completely.

Yikes - Epic Game Store CAUGHT STEALING Personal Information!
    Smash JT
    Published on Mar 14, 2019
    The Epic Games Store has come under fire lately for a slew of competitive moves against Valve's Steam. This latest infraction may just be the worst yet. Gamers have identified a check when the Epic Games Store loads up where it searches Steam for files on friend lists, purchases, games owned, time played, etc.
    While on the surface, much of this is harmless, it points to a much larger issue with personal data protection and lack of disclosures by Tencent's Epic Games Store.

animatsuri 10 hours ago
    "Pretty low. Getting your friends list would be indirectly exposing them to spam from Epic they didn't ask for. Seems I dodged a bullet not bothering with Epic even if I was missing out on a free game."

Jerome VV 10 hours ago
    "Well, it's going to be hard for me to defend Epic against bad faith critics when there are now legitimate criticism to be had. I've deleted my account and sent a Tweet to Epic showing me deleting their app. Thanks Smash, I appreciate it."

Joelteon 5 hours ago
    "Epic uninstalled. Don’t need it."

TheCompletionist 3 hours ago
    "...Companies need to be punished for scummy tactics and the best way to hurt a company is hit them where it hurts the most which is usually their pocketbook..."

Epic Game Store, Spyware, Tracking, and You!
    Thread starter lashman Start date Yesterday at 3:42 PM
    https://metacouncil.com/threads/epic-game-store-spyware-tracking-and-you.766/
    https://metacouncil.com/threads/epic-game-store-spyware-tracking-and-you.766/post-23857

Kurt Russell SUPREME OVERLORD Yesterday at 6:55 PM #16
    "I checked my computer after reading madjoki's post on era, and they've been doing this since May 2018 at least. I have a folder with 90 files all with either my steam id or my brother's or a friend's when I helped them with stuff and logged in on my computer."
    IYflfXB.png

madjoki MetaMember Yesterday at 9:07 PM #46
    "Steam profiles are private by default.

Actually Kurt Russell 's image shows this starting when (May 2018) Steam made their profiles private by default, assuming this isn't coincide[ntal], this could be done to bypass [Steam] privacy options you set."

sk2k Junior Member Yesterday at 7:20 PM #24
    "Ok. Bus Simulator 2018 was released in June 2018. I installed the mod tools for the simulator (unreal engine) in June 2018. I also found several "backups" with my steamID (steamID3 to be precise) in the filenames. First backup was made in June 2018. What the ****? Why?"

https://metacouncil.com/threads/epic-game-store-spyware-tracking-and-you.766/post-23922

rinneh likes this.
  2. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I could see uninstalling it due to yet more laziness, but this doesn't seem malicious.

These guys should know with these exclusive deals being protested that no one is going to afford them the same luxury that Valve has for getting breaks for making mistakes and being lazy

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Prototime likes this.
  3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Is all this information being stored in that single folder? If so, can you make it read only so nothing else gets written to it?

hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    Seriously, you want to play "whack a mole" with a privacy invasive piece of malware - so you can keep playing games?

"The force is strong with that one..."

Actually, I think the best way to stop the privacy incursion is to uninstall EGS completely - it's the only way to be sure...short of doing a reinstall of Windows OS.

5. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Even then you might still have some snoopware tainting your drives.

IMO I'm gonna stick with steam I like what they are doing with their proton/electron thing and it might finally facilitate me moving to Linux.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  6. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  7. cucubits

cucubits Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm also way more inclined to believe that Epic did all this mess with a 'hidden' agenda like data mining.

If they just wanted to get in the market and grow their player base, they could have taken a way less aggressive approach. Leave the games on steam too and work on a good marketing campaign to lure customers with good prices for example or other incentives, not force them. Honestly this way they are just enticing... the p-word and undermining good developers by simply driving away potential customers.

NuclearLizard and hmscott like this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    What a surprise, Epic denys everything, even in the face of the actual data collected about them collecting data by snooping around in areas they have no business being in.

Yes, let's believe the lying liars that lie, because we can't understand why anyone would want to take advantage of us, such a nice person as ourselves, they'd never do that, and see they say they aren't doing that.

"May I please stick my head back in the warm sand?" :)

Sure buddy, you go ahead, no baddies out here to worry about, just keep that head down and don't mind the noises, it's nothing really. - EGS

9. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm not "sticking my head in the sand". I'm making an informed rational decision based on facts.

There is one thing I do agree they need to change in the client, and that's using local files to import friends instead of the Steam API. Super lazy.

This was a good take:
    [​IMG]

hmscott and saturnotaku like this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    No, you aren't, you are trying to find a way to excuse their behavior by using illogical exceptions and means to defend the indefensible. There is no defense for them, their behavior is not lazy it's purposeful.

Invading the Steam Folder to scrape for private information on the user is more difficult than if they used the Steam Friends API, instead what they accomplished was to circumvent the privacy restrictions put in place by individuals and went around them using the scraping of the Steam folder instead. Note the reporting of the Steam API May 2018 privacy switch over and timing for Epic's use of the Steam folder scraping coincide.

Epic / Tencent is a bad company, using illicit and unethical practices both in business, programming, privacy, and who knows what else, and by association are taring the publishers and developers that sign on for exclusive deals. In the public eye's, they are all one and the same in their offensive behaviors.

I'd let them all work things out and start flying straight and true, if that every happens, before getting involved with them.