Metro Exodus devs threaten to discontinue Metro on PC if Epic Games sales flop

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hmscott, Feb 3, 2019.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Problems of managing game keys...
    You got a problem with people trading in game keys, or just the specific sites - which ones do you use? Do you want to close Pawn Shops, Craigslist, Ebay, or anywhere that provides a marketplace for people trade in aftermarket products?
    Whose, signature? I don't use a sig, and I have displaying sigs disabled - clutters up the post listings, and I certainly wouldn't own a 2080ti. :)
    You do that, let us know.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  2. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    A lot of people have issues with grey markets for game keys. As awhile back when all this was new, people would find a way to some how generate and steal them to sell them.

I'm not too sure how as I never went for them but that's the only reason I could think of or even remember there being an issue with.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk

hmscott, Prototime and killkenny1 like this.
  3. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You guys cries of heresy due to Valve being "conned" on this Metro thing falls on extremely deaf ears when you use these garbage grey market key sellers. Do you really care about devs and middle men platforms being paid for their work or not? Seems like just an agenda against Epic or Exclusives for some reason.

4. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    I see a few other users already chipped in. Some of the keys on grey marketplaces might be stolen, or bought using stolen credit card, or procured by other illegal means. They might work and you might not experience any problems and never found out, but you also might lose the game, get no refund, or maybe even get your account banned.

I'm fine with game key marketplaces, as long as they are legit, like Green Man Gaming and many others (in the past used to buy from Gamers Gate as well). Though not sure about CDKeys, don't know if they are legit or not. Bought a few games from them, seemed fine. Definitely better than G2A, where on check out it offers you to buy an insurance from bad key. I mean... again... I can't even... Also, that website design... Kill me...

And again talking about G2A, didn't they start charging users for their accounts just recently?
    I'm actually quite surprised you guys newer heard anything regarding shadiness of G2A. It has generated so much negative press over the years, I'm not sure how it could have slipped you. Particularly you, hmsccott, you seem to watch and read everything there is on the Internet regarding games, not sure how it slipped pass you.

It says right there which post and user was quoted ;)

upload_2019-2-12_19-33-7.png

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-15690187

Prototime likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    It's about Epic's / Deep Silver's not caring about customers or devs, and going back on business arrangements.

There are misuse's of all forms of secondary market's, but we can't and don't close those because criminals misuse them, we keep them policed against criminal behavior so good people can trade in aftermarket goods.

And for me Chinese control with access or involvement in data security related services are a definite pass for me. No way am I signing up for Epic or any other related service with my personal information. Epic store services are too far below par to consider using it on many levels.

I'm not going to be coerced into using a service just because they've paid off some simpleton's to betray their business obligations and customer base, not to mention screwing up their own IP and developer relationship.

4a has already changed representation before, and I'm certain as this unfolds they will be changing again.

Stop trying to confuse the situation. Focus on the real problems. Your efforts aren't even close to convincing me otherwise.

6. cj_miranda23

cj_miranda23 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  7. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hmscott and cj_miranda23 like this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    I've used many of them over the years, including using the protection against illegal or bad keys, and I haven't had any problems.

You are complaining about "Ebay" problems, and all secondary market providers have the same issues. Dealing with criminals using the same services you and I use is part policing the service and keeping it clean.

I am not going to knowingly use an illegal service, and all of the secondary markets mentioned have had to deal with illegal use of their legal services over time yet remain serving law abiding customers.

This isn't related to the Epic / Deep Silver issue, please stop changing the focus of the discussion, I've been clear enough and trying to put words or actions into my intent isn't going to win the discussion.
    Yeah, I block several very active users to unclutter my thread reading, occasionally this happens.

Personally I'd never buy a POS RTX GPU. :)
    Yeah, I remember that, it turned out to not affect anyone's credit cards or email accounts. A website hack which was fixed.

There have been compromised trading of items in Steam's marketplace back in 2015, but that seems to be fixed now too.

The difference in effect and handling are vast between Steam's thoughtful and swift reaction and Epic's total failure, with lots of people getting SPAM, hacked accounts, and ongoing problems as side effect of getting their private data exposed and sold via Epic (by Epic?), the customer service differences are miles apart - with many Epic customers opting to drop the service and delete their account.

"To delete your account, please follow the steps below to contact us with your request. 3. Complete the CONTACT US form: select Delete Epic Games Account and tell us you want to delete your account. When we receive this information, we'll review your request and provide additional confirmation."
    https://epicgames.helpshift.com/a/e...ounts&f=how-do-i-delete-my-epic-games-account

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+delete+my+hacked+epic+account

The Deep Silver / Epic bad example is going to give others a chance to show their true colors, and allow the good guys to stand up and make a stand against such bad behavior.

Of course, it does help that they have GOG :)

"It may have already been expected of Cyberpunk 2077, but it is always good to get an official confirmation from the developers. Cyberpunk 2077 won't be exclusive to the Epic Store, and this makes sense given they have their own storefront Gog.com."

The backlash from Deep Silver / Epic's idiotic behavior is going to get rewarded with lower sales, and fewer (no?) exclusives, maybe even fewer companies willing to sell their products on Epic in any arrangement, exclusive or not.

"Epic Games has certainly ruffled the feathers of developers and publishers that are deciding what platform to release their games on... Deep Silver recently took that leap of faith with their title Metro Exodus and that caused quite a lot of division within their community, some players now even refuse to play the title due to how the decision was handled."

It's good to take the high road while mixing in a little humor when dealing with crap like this:

"CD Projekt Red have confirmed through their Twitter account for Cyberpunk that title will not be going exclusive to the Epic Store. In the above artistic Tweet found on the official Cyberpunk 2077 Twitter account page, a fan pleaded "Please please please don't make this game an epic store exclusive." The account simply replied to the fan "Yeaaaaaaaaah.... Pass on that.""

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2019 at 11:49 PM
  9. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    And this is what's wrong with it. They are selling you key and an insurance in case you get the illegal key, which means they had already issues with it.
    Shouldn't they try fight the problem itself, but not monetize it it themselves?
    It's like I would go to the used car salesman and he would offer me insurance in case it was stolen...
    Also, if you hadn't have any problems, it doesn't mean no one had any problems.

Get the keys from the source then. GMG doesn't have this problem, why can't G2A?

*facepalm*
    Well, you shouldn't have added to the the key sites discussion by suggesting a seller yourself then...

Are you OK?

Prototime and hmscott like this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    Yeah, I'm fine, thanks for asking. :)

I feel very good about not getting a Tencent / Chinese Epic account and warning others against getting one.

I also feel good about making a stand against crappy business activities (Deep Silver / Tencent / Epic) that screw over customers and developers, pointing out and warning against the bad business practices of Epic trying to steal business away from Steam and other online stores with exclusives.

I also feel great about waiting a year (or less?) to get access to one of my favorite game series IP's, Metro: Exodus will be great a year from now, and I won't be hearing about this Epic / Tencent / Deep Silver crap or how RTX performance sucks while enjoying the game. :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    killkenny1 likes this.