Metro Exodus devs threaten to discontinue Metro on PC if Epic Games sales flop

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hmscott, Feb 3, 2019.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Warning: Bad Language. Angry rhetoric. Both Videos, actually all I could find were pretty P.O.'d about the situation.

Metro Exodus devs threaten to discontinue Metro on PC if Epic Games sales flop

Retro Q Gaming
    Premiered 11 hours ago
    Hope my refund gets approved. It probably will because Steam are good like that.

Metro Exodus Developer Attacks and Threatens Fans Over Epic Games Store Exclusivity Backlash

Griffin Gaming
    Published on Feb 2, 2019
    A Metro Exodus Developer at 4A Games has attacked and threatened fans in response to backlash over Metro Exodus being a timed exclusive to the Epic Games Store after being pulled off of Steam. This Developer threatened pc gamers to either buy the game on Epic Games or there would be no more Metro games released on PC ever again. Do we have another Don't like it, don't buy it" situation again. Of course this comes in the wake of the previous controversy surrounding this game being pulled off Steam and the overall negative sentiment towards Epic Games. Let me know your thoughts.

4A Games developer: If Metro Exodus does not sell on the PC, the next Metro will not come out for it
    FEBRUARY 2, 2019 JOHN PAPADOPOULOS 345 COMMENTS
    https://www.dsogaming.com/news/4a-g...e-pc-the-next-metro-will-not-come-out-for-it/

"Last month, Deep Silver announced that Metro Exodus will be a timed-exclusive title on Epic’s digital store for the PC. Obviously, this frustrated a number of PC gamers – with some review bombing both Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light on Steam – and on Gameru’s forum, a 4A Games developer has expressed his feelings toward this whole situation.

This 4A Games developer with the nickname “scynet” admitted that it was a sudden decision to announce the timed-exclusive deal with Epic Games only one month prior to the game’s release and that it could cause some inconvenience to players. Scynet also claimed that those that decide to pirate the game would have done so, regardless of this timed-exclusive deal, and those are not the players that the developers target.

However, the developer went one step further and stated that if all PC gamers boycott Metro Exodus then the next Metro game (if there is one mind you) will not come out on the PC. Now I’m pretty sure that the developer was exaggerating here but it begs the question; how many PC sales can guarantee the continuation of the Metro franchise on the PC?

Of course, this is the opinion of only one developer and not of the entire studio or the publisher, however it shows how nervous some of 4A Games’ developers actually are. And, to be honest, we all know that the publisher actually makes the final decision. If the publisher wants to release a game on the PC, the developers will either have to develop it or let another team handle that version.

Scynet also stated that 4A Games is currently putting the final touches to the PC version of Metro Exodus, which is currently scheduled for a February 15th release!"

Metro Dev: If PC Gamers Boycott Us Over Moving To Epic, Then We Just Won't Make Games For PC
    BY SAM WATANUKI – ON FEB 02, 2019
    https://www.thegamer.com/metro-dev-threatens-no-more-games-for-pc-with-epic-store-move/

Found this, source unknown:
    3d1yhkjj3dd21.png

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  2. hmscott

Reputations:
    4AGames developer named "scynet" has responded
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/412020/discussions/0/1780513643852520184/

https://www.gameru.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=71769&st=0&p=1648737&#entry1648737

Google Translate:

"I watched the bubbling. Impressions are twofold. On the one hand, the withdrawal from the stim is ambiguous, so no one has done so sharply (as far as I can tell). This is new, which could cause rejection. Yes, and such a move pulls the need to install an epic launcher, which could cause some inconvenience to the players, and therefore cause discontent.

On the other hand, the reaction of a certain category of players (onli torrents and all that) is hardly adequate. It seems that people did not want to play, just waited for a reason to pour out their bile. That is, it turns out that we (the developers) for years have been hard and painful, with losses, trying to do something special, but a certain category of players believes that our work is not worth even a couple of minutes to install the launcher. Naturally, it is their life and their right, but then what do they care about the Metro? Obviously, it is not interesting to them. I can only say that they were not our players either, they are not interested in our work, which means that, for example, the opinion of such people is not interesting for me either. What is the point for me personally (and not only) to listen to their opinion?

But! Consider the situation deeper. Someone says that they say they crap Exodus and the previous games in the series, it will make the world better, they will put greedy developers in their place. To this I can answer that in a pinch, if at all all the PC players announce a boycott of the Metro, then the next metro, if it does, is definitely not on the PC. Better or worse, decide for yourself. I personally feel sorry for the loyal fans, yes. But my assessment of the work done personally by me and my friends and colleagues will not change this. I firmly know that almost everyone who pours this dirt on the net is also incapable of a bit of what we have done and hopefully do more. And that means they have no idea what they are talking about.

And further. Despite the fact that during the development I went through each level of each game, hell knows how many times, it is interesting for me to play Metro. I went through the previous parts completely and more than once, and now I am going to go through the whole PC version, to which we make the final touches. For me, this is already a tradition, I always re-pass the game completely before release. Allows you to evaluate the work done. What is it for me? I remember the words of the Prof, which I have heard more than once, both from myself and on the Internet - the game must be made for myself, so that you like it first. And only schA begin to understand this fully - no clever man can shake me about the value of the work that we have done. And there will always be disgruntled."

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They are just asking for a backlash with statements like that.

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  4. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I feel like the devs are under the impression they we think the game is bad. But we don't we think it's going to be a fantastic game.

The problem is the shady stunt they pulled. They featured it heavily on steam, like seriously the little start pop up, the big banner etc.

And then they rip it down and go epic only. Well I am sorry but epic lacks many features that would draw me to the platform. The primary two being user reviews and local currency support. Because there is no way in hell I am paying an extra 8-10 dollars for currency conversion fees to buy a game.

That takes me to the final bugbear in the room epic does not support offline play for any game with some form of DRM. A couple of other people and I in a group I hang around managed to find out that you can boot a game from the .exe file but if it has DRM you need the client running which does not work without an internet connection.

In short, 4a in regards to me at least has shot themselves in the foot and them threatening to never release a game on PC because they don't want to listen to legitimate complaints about their practices has ensured their games failure, much like EA, Activision and Bethesda with their shady practices and politics.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk

Vasudev, Vistar Shook and hmscott like this.
  5. cj_miranda23

cj_miranda23 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What A way to destroy their own game! Even the creator was conflicted with the move to epic store. https://gamerant.com/metro-exodus-author-epic-store-exclusive/

In a post to Glukhovsky’s Instagram account, he joked about Metro Exodus‘ exclusivity announcement, saying, “Apparently the Steam was not enough for our steam train.” The reference here is that Metro Exodus is about the player taking the “Aurora” train away from Moscow and across the continent. Someone responded to the post, writing,”Lol you’re killing your own franchise.” This drew a direct reply from Glukhovsky, as he stated, “No, I am standing by and watching it be killed”.

6. NuclearLizard

Reputations:
    The writer for metro on the whole I find is a pretty decent guy. He knows where he came from and who got him there. I have a lot of respect for him as a professional writer. Now if only other authors could follow his lead.

Vasudev, killkenny1 and hmscott like this.
  7. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Watched a few interviews with him and have to agree, he seems like a pretty cool guy.

hmscott likes this.
  8. thegreatsquare

thegreatsquare Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    List is missing what should be one of the most important things to [gaming] laptop owners ...Offline Mode.

9. hmscott

Reputations:
    Aha, yup, was thinking about that as "Offline Mode" been important for keeping Windows Vista machines running steam installed games :)

I also read that someone had tried to do this with Epic's Launcher, and although it looked like it worked on some games, others with DRM not only wanted the Launcher to be running, it required active internet access to game.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Vistar Shook likes this.
  10. NuclearLizard

Reputations:
    Yea that would be 100% top of the list. I can forgive no user reviews because there are forums and stuff like that I can turn too. But if you have no offline (and they confirmed denuvo for their DRM) I am locked out of playing your games 30- 50 % of my free time instantly devaluing your games to wait until it's at least that much off the sticker price.

@hmscott that was me. Lol though I don't have a full list of games. I think he tried supereat boy, jack box, subnaughtica and one other game.

Vistar Shook, killkenny1 and hmscott like this.