Merom / Core 2 Duo runs on the XPS M1710! (Almost)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Jon_H, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon_H

Jon_H Newbie

Reputations:
    I did not test battery life / speed step because of concerns over the heat of the CPU. Battery benchmarks take a while to run and it loads the CPU at 100% (Battery Eater pro does anyway), so I didn't want to risk destroying the M1710 and T7400 I'm experimenting with. I hope to revisit power/battery soon once there's a proper BIOS release from Dell.

Upgrading CPU voids warranty, but the M1710 I have doesn't have any tamper-proof sticker over the CPU socket/retention lock. However, the threads of the screws may give you away if silver shows instead of the factory black.

In the article I stated Arctic Silver 5 and a Core 2 Duo T7400. Someone else at NotebookForums reports a similar problem (67c Idle) but it went away when he swapped with another Core 2 Duo. Could be some instability with the BIOS or problems with Engineering Samples.

- Jon.

2. Zero

Zero The Random Guy

Reputations:
    Have you noticed any real speed difference. From that I mean, so programs load up faster, is Windows more responsive. We know that Merom will perform better than Yonah in processor intensive apps, but an insight into normal usage would be helpful.

3. Jon_H

Jon_H Newbie

Reputations:
    Nope. I haven't noticed a real difference in performance. Games and my general activities all feel the same. I suppose if you're doing real intensive operations (like zipping big files) you will save time, but saving 5 minutes in a 25 minute operation doesn't change anything -- it still feels like a long time. :D

Since the first Merom article I posted, I've maintained the position that the new Core 2 Duos isn't about speed, but about the improved feature set like a larger cache, power consumption (supposedly), and 64-bit support.

I think it's a bit early to be buying these new processors. I'd at least wait for Vista.

4. Zero

Zero The Random Guy

Reputations:
    You say wait for Vista, but ironically enough, Intel plans yet another revolution to the laptop market, with the new Centrino platform and a whole new Merom based processor in 2007. Its getting to the point of annoyance, deciding on when to buy processors these days. Yes, i know the rule of if you need it now, buy it now is the one to stick with, but Intel plans on this Merom processor lasting 6/7 months, which for a mobile processor is very short.

5. Mark_J_Fletcher

Mark_J_Fletcher Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    By the time Vista comes out, buying a Merom processor will be a lot cheaper... I think I'll wait for that. Id imagin the Quad core processors probably wont be compatible with the current generation of laptops

6. Jon_H

Jon_H Newbie

Reputations:
    I agree 100%. I was pretty shocked at how quickly the Core Duo / Yonah was replaced. I supposed I'm more accustomed to AMD CPUs where the product cycles are a bit longer.

Intel really is milking the mobile CPU market for all it's worth it appears. I suppose it works out well for late adopters since older tech is cheaper sooner.

Vista + Core 2 Duo is still debated. I've been reading bits about how poorly it runs Vista, but I'll reserve my opinions once Vista is finally released.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.