Merom / Core 2 Duo runs on the XPS M1710! (Almost)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Jon_H, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon_H

Jon_H Newbie

Reputations:
    I just finished an interesting investigation of the Dell M1710 and the Core 2 Duo. I put the new CPU into the M1710 to see if it will work, and it does! The benchmarks are a bit off in spots, but overall there is an improvement.

Temperature on the CPU reads 67C when idle which isn't correct, but hopefully this means a Merom upgrade for M1710 owners in the near future.

Post your thoughts / comments here. :)

- Jon.

2. Zero

Zero The Random Guy

Reputations:
    Does the speedstep work on the processor. Other people have reported these processors worling in laptops, but the speedstep didn't work, so battery life was low.

3. primehunter326

primehunter326 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah all of the Core Duo notebooks can be upgraded fairly easily. They've released the BIOS update so its just a mattter of flashing the BIOS, taking the heatsink assembly off and swapping out the CPU. I wish it were that simple with my GPU...

4. Zero

Zero The Random Guy

Reputations:
    Thats good to hear. It's about time Merom was able to work on some laptops.

5. adinu

adinu I pwn teh n00bs.

Reputations:
    Did dell ever mention to you guys anything about voiding the warranty for doin such a swap. I know they support it and released a new bios, but I've heard several pple say that switching cpus will void ur warranty.

If dell indeed allows such things w/o anythin happening to the warranty it might sway em to get a dell instead of the others i was considering.

6. ChangFest

ChangFest Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Swapping your CPU will void your warranty as Dell doesn't deem it a user upgradable part. Dell would rather you buy a new notebook with a Merom in it than allow you to easily upgrade your current notebook.

7. primehunter326

primehunter326 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well then I'll just wait till my warranty expires before upgrading since I feel no real preassure to get a 64 bit CPU at the momment

8. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    There's no official word from Dell yet as per the article on the XPS M1710 and Merom . . 67*C is extremely hot. It should be signifigantly less . . less than 50*C I'd estimate.
    If you already have a Yonah CPU in your notebook, I doubt it is worth it to upgrade. The improvements seemed to be marginal at best - high resolution gaming, which is a primary task of the M1710, hardly changed at all.

9. Jason

Jason Overclocker NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    67C is really hot! Get some artic silver thermal paste or something, if you have not already... What merom CPU did you put in?

10. Zero

Zero The Random Guy

Reputations:
    From the link he's given, it looks like he's installed the T7400.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.