1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Memory: 16GB at 1333Mhz or 12GB at 1600Mhz

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by DVCal, Jun 20, 2012.

1. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

2. sarge_

sarge_ Notebook Deity

That's absolutely ridiculous. There is NO way that slugishness was a result of the speed difference between 1600mhz RAM and 1333 mhz RAM, because the performance difference is less than 5%. You most likely had some incompatibility issues with the DIMMs.

3. Rishwin

Rishwin Notebook Deity

Yea and with my experience as a tech i've dealt with people not having their system running & having it run badly because they had incompatibility with 8GB dimms.

Why are you arguing over semantics? You're saying the 8Gb dimms performed badly, we're saying that's because they aren't universally compatible. I can almost guarantee you that the performance difference was NOT due to a frequency difference of 266MHz, it was most likely a compatibility issue.

4. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Guys, I'm not arguing at all.

Simply what I observed on the latest platform with the latest available 1333 MHz 8GB SoDimms.

Even if this is a compatibility issue - it is a big enough concern (given the responsiveness/performance hit the system exhibited) that people should be made aware of it.

As this was a show stopper for me (I could easily use 32GB RAM on my systems...) I returned the system - but it is something to think about either way.

(How many people have posted on how many threads (including me) that 1333MHz vs. 1600MHz makes no realworld difference - maybe with IB, it finally does....).

5. Qing Dao

Qing Dao LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD

If that is really what happened and not in your imagination, this has nothing to do with 1333Mhz vs 1600Mhz. NOTHING.

6. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Brain size of a planet...

I've noticed some slight improvements in system responsiveness going from 1600 to 1866MHz, but nothing that I would consider 1333MHz as slow when I used it just for comparison sake

7. sarge_

sarge_ Notebook Deity

It's called the placebo effect :) difference is just too small to be humanly noticeable. Only benchmarks can show it.

8. HTWingNut

I thought that too, but it's not. I was a huge skeptic until I was finally able to bump my RAM speed up to 2133 and was like :eek: But it really doesn't matter for daily tasks. It's one of those things though like with an SSD, you run with it for a while, then go back to HDD and are like, wow this is slow. Not quite that magnitude but same idea.

9. sarge_

sarge_ Notebook Deity

If that were true, it would show in benchmarks, wouldn't it?

10. HTWingNut

What benchmarks do you want run to show improvement in system responsiveness? There are none. I'm not saying it's like going from 5400RPM HDD to a Samsung 830 SSD. But there is a noticeable improvement. Go to JamesD's thread on RAM and review my negative or skeptical comments until I actually experienced it first hand. I called shenanigans from the beginning too. But in the end, it doesn't matter much because there's little improvement in processing tasks.

11. sarge_

sarge_ Notebook Deity

Better responsiveness is a result of improved processing speed. Which is measurable in PCmark and SuperPI.

Back in the day when I was adjusting timings on my DDR2 desktop rig, it definitely showed up in SuperPI.

12. HTWingNut

System responsiveness isn't really a result of faster processing speed. Putting an SSD in your PC vastly increases responsiveness but it's not processing any faster. The I/O is much faster. That's about the only measurable difference which would be/could be done with memory benchmarking which Aida64 shows considerable increases. Same can be said for SSD. You can't really measure the system responsiveness except measuring the SSD performance itself; the seek times, random and sustained read/writes.

13. Jubei Kibagami

Jubei Kibagami Notebook Consultant

Should I get 8GB DDR3 or stay at 6GB DDR3? I don't game as much as before by the way.

14. HTWingNut

You will not see any benefit from more RAM with gaming especially 6GB to 8GB unless you are a REALLY HEAVY MULTITASKER and have 4-5GB of stuff already running on your system at any given time. Single or Dual channel RAM makes zero difference when gaming with the dedicated GPU too.

15. Jubei Kibagami

Jubei Kibagami Notebook Consultant

Cool man. Btw HT when will you buy sager 9150 with 680?

16. HTWingNut

I'm probably going to go with 7970m although the driver issues with Enduro are a bit disconcerting. Hard to justify $300 though for a marginal performance increase.

17. maverick1989

maverick1989 Notebook Deity

Really? Didn't know that. How come?

18. HopelesslyFaithful

HopelesslyFaithful Notebook Virtuoso

i would go with the 1600 if you have a highend CPU and GPU but otherwise it really doesn't matter.

19. Jarhead

Jarhead Luigi #1

The dedicated GPU has it's own memory, separate from the system memory or RAM (GPU RAM is called VRAM). For example, my Quadro 2000M has 2GB of VRAM to use, as opposed to the 12GB 1333MHz system RAM. If I was using the Intel HD 3000, it would share said 12GB RAM since integrated GPUs do not come with their own VRAM.

20. HTWingNut