Mega Millions.. What would you do with $330,000,000?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Double 0, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Double 0

Double 0 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So I will be playing Mega Millions lottery tonight which would be worth 330 mill if you win (more like low 200 mill after taxes)

But lets say you had 330 million to blow.. what would you do with it?

I would invest 200 million in Apple stock and I would divide about 20 mill throughout tha family and just blow the rest

2. JM

JM Mr. Misanthrope NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Plunging $200m into just one stock is a bad idea, even in a company as well off as Apple.

I'd breakup the fund and have them invested with my existing private banking accounts at Citi, U.S. Bank, Merrill Lynch-Bank of America, and Wells Fargo. Add them to my already invested assets.

I'd also keep $15m or so liquid to buy homes in various places. Oh, and donate a fair chunk to the Republican National Committee.

3. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Why?

I would create several portfolios, invest in a lot of things, so that there won’t be a chance to lose it all in one hit.

4. Double 0

Double 0 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well I was just talking junk.. I know nothing about buying stock (Yet) but figured I would invest some into apple.. not sure if its true yet but it's worth 300 billion

This sounds logical lol

5. tianxia

tianxia kitty!!!

Reputations:
    keep 5mil. donate the rest.
    edit: to various nogs and charities.

6. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Id buy my own island :D and have them put OC3 fiber optic internet cable under water for it.

J/K

I dont know what I would do in the grand scheme of things, probably not worry about having so much money and just do the few things I would do now if I had the money.

Get a new laptop, build a new computer, get a house, a new car and go to college.

Of course some smaller stuff in there like better food and some new cloths, but thats really it.

Lots of rich people go bankrupt, especially lotto winners because they invest the money in the wrong ways or try to get life styles they can not afford.

You win 1 million today and buy a house worth 200k tomorrow, a couple of exotic cars, go out to eat and party almost every day and the before you know it, your money runs out and you have no way to afford the stuff you purchased and end up worse off than you were before you won any money.

7. JM

JM Mr. Misanthrope NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    And? Citigroup and Bank of America were as well, at one point. Market capitalization isn't the main way one ranks a company. ;)

8. Johnny T

Johnny T Forum Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    1. Worry about about tax I'll have to pay.
    2. Think about how to keep the fact that I just won a crap load of money to a selected few I can trust.
    3. Ensure parents will be able to live comfortably, aid friends who might be in need.
    4. Invest wisely.
    5. Buy a new coffee machine.

:D The rest are just details.

9. kbs

kbs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    would you get it annutitized or cash value? because with the cash value you only get like 1/2 if you win.

10. MGS2392

MGS2392 NAND Cat!

Reputations:
    Well I would buy 330,000,000 things off of the McDonald's dollar menu. Because I can.

In reality, I'd do a 50-50 split for charity and me. With my share, I'll get a modest house (1 million to 2, at the very most), a nice collection of Subarus (a Forester STi if I can import, a WRX STi, and a Legacy GT Spec.B), make sure my parents are comfortable, and get a few other odds and ends. And save up the rest, because it'd be stupid to blow it all at once.