Medion Erazer X7849 Screen Replacement Options..?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by S3RENiiTY, Nov 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. S3RENiiTY

S3RENiiTY Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi All

As you can probably assume from the title, i am in need of a new screen for my Medion Erazer X7849 laptop. The original screen (LG LP173WF4-SPD1) has all but died. I was about to just buy a like for like replacement, but then i started to wonder - could i upgrade somehow with a better display?

I have tried looking around for one, but honestly im not sure as to what is compatible etc... So i thought i would try to get some advice and/or suggestions as to what to go for. Ideally i would like to keep G-Sync support - however i would be willing to sacrifice G-Sync to get a better screen.

As far as i am aware i am limited to use only screens with 30pin eDP, but im not sure if i could somehow swap to a 40pin with a different video cable or whatever.

So, yeh, erm, any advice and/or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Newbie

Reputations:
    Wanted to revive this as Im now wondering the same thing.

3. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    this is your panel display

Display https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-G751JY-G-Sync-Notebook-Review.146086.0.html
    17.3 inch 16:9, 1920 x 1080 pixel, LG Philips LP173WF4-SPD1 (LGD046C), IPS, Full HD, glossy: no

X-Rite i1Pro 2
    Maximum: 334 cd/m² Average: 320.3 cd/m²
    Brightness Distribution: 92 %
    Center on Battery: 329 cd/m²
    Contrast: 968:1 (Black: 0.34 cd/m²)
    ΔE Color 4.13 | - Ø
    ΔE Greyscale 3.72 | - Ø
    83% sRGB (Argyll) 55% AdobeRGB 1998 (Argyll)
    Gamma: 2.36
    ICC File (X-Rite i1Pro 2)

http://www.panelook.com/LP173WF4-SPD1_LG Display_17.3_LCM_overview_24463.html
    Interface Type 30 pins eDP (2 Lanes) , Connector
    Power Supply 3.3V (Typ.)

do you need a better srgb? adobergb? 4k or fhd? 60hz or 120hz? ips or tn?

4. S3RENiiTY

S3RENiiTY Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi

Thanks for the somewhat late reply, better than never i suppose...

Its not so much that i 'need' anything specific, i was just curious as to what my options are in regards to replacing the original (lp173wf4-spd1), i would hope for something ideally greater than the original overall, or at the very least equal to it. As for Tn screens, no, not unless it was superior to this specific IPS. 4k would be nice, but im not too bothered about it, i believe image quality is better that resolution all things being equal. As for 60vs120hz, again not too bothered about that, although 120hz would be nice

So yeh, just looking for the best overall screen i can get really.

To be honest i had all but given up on expecting a reply to this post, and just bought a compatible model instead (n173hce-e31) which does the job well enough, although i have had to sacrifice g-sync for the time being, i was told by the seller that the screen should be g-sync compatible, however i am unable to get the option to show up in NVCP...

So im still in the market for a replacement screen of equal or ideally greater specs.

Thanks

5. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    it should have a 94% srgb, so not bad

that n173hce-e31 is used in this acer
    http://laptopmedia.com/review/acer-...istant-from-its-smaller-sibling-yet-so-alike/

Display quality
    The 17-inch Helios 300 uses a Full HD (1920×1080) IPS panel manufactured by Innolux with model number N173HCE-E31. With a 17.3-inch diagonal, the screen has 127 ppi (pixel density) and 0.1995 x 0.1995 mm mm pixel pitch. It can be considered as “Retina” when viewed from a distance equal or greater than 69 cm.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were able to record a maximum brightness of 312 cd/m2 in the center of the screen and 293 cd/m2 as average across the surface with only 11% maximum deviation. The color temperature at maximum brightness on white screen is 7800K, which is considerably colder than the standard 6500K. As we go along the grayscale with different brightness levels, the color temperature appears to stay at around 7800K. Below you can see the results at 40% brightness (140 cd/m2).

The maximum color deviation dE2000 at 140 cd/m2 (40% brightness) is 2.9, which is good since values above 4.0 are unwanted. The contrast ratio is okay – 770:1 and falls down to 650:1 after calibration.
    [​IMG]

Color reproduction
    To make sure we are on the same page, we would like to give you a little introduction of the sRGB color gamut and the Adobe RGB. To start, there’s the CIE 1976 Uniform Chromaticity Diagram that represents the visible specter of colors by the human eye, giving you a better perception of the color gamut coverage and the color accuracy.

Inside the black triangle, you will see the standard color gamut (sRGB) that is being used by millions of people in HDTV and on the web. As for the Adobe RGB, this is used in professional cameras, monitors etc for printing. Basically, colors inside the black triangle are used by everyone and this is the essential part of the color quality and color accuracy of a mainstream notebook.

Still, we’ve included other color spaces like the famous DCI-P3 standard used by movie studios, as well as the digital UHD Rec.2020 standard. Rec.2020, however, is still a thing of the future and it’s difficult for today’s displays to cover that well. We’ve also included the so-called Michael Pointer gamut, or Pointer’s gamut, which represents the colors that naturally occur around us every day.

We are pleased to see that the sRGB coverage goes as high as 94% making the display good for gaming and multimedia purposes.

[​IMG]

msi gt72vr panel or msi ge73vr panels are TN 120hz with really good colours but they are not compatible

6. TheUberMedic

TheUberMedic Newbie

Reputations:
    So there are no 120hz compatible displays?