Mechanical Keyboard Thread!

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ApostateTapir, Dec 23, 2018.

1. ApostateTapir

ApostateTapir Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I know this is primarily a notebook forum, but I am sure some of us use mechanical keyboards when we're docking our notebooks at home. Any interest in a thread dedicated to them?

I just picked up my first one, a cheap Redragon K552 with Outemu blue switches. I love it, girlfriend hates it, you know how it goes. I just painted a few keycaps last night for some flair, as well as ordering a keycap set to replace the keys I didn't paint. I think the color scheme is going to be awesome!

Redragon K552 - Painted Keycaps.jpg

2. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    My first one was Razer Blackwidow with mx blue switches. I liked almost everything but software and clicky sound. Switches were so loud I could hear them thru my headphones.
    Next one was XTRFY with white backlight and mx red switches. I further silenced them with silicone washers and used it for years.
    My current one is Corsair Strafe mk2, also with mx red. Last night I swapped the washers from the old kb to this one. Only thing I don't like so much this far is the font on the keycaps, so it is pretty good one.

3. ApostateTapir

Reputations:
    I love the click! My first try on a mechanical keyboard was some Razer model that my friend has with MX browns. It was okay, but I wanted louder and "clicky-er"!

4. tungd678

tungd678 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I used Fuhlen SM680R before, a cheap chinese mech keyboard with rgb, ugly font and blue kailh switch. I used to like it and also its clicky but not anymore as it's too noisy so I bought Tada68, nice keycaps and font, more portable as I could put it in my backpack and bring it anywhere, white led and black gateron switch. I love linear switch :D
    P/s: after I bought G603, I' plaining to buy wireless mechkey :cool:. Could be keycool sp68.

5. ApostateTapir

Reputations:
    I love the tactile bump of the blues. I don't think I could ever enjoy a linear switch.

6. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The overwhelming majority of my Youtube channel is dedicated to the various mechanical keyboards I've used over the years. I've largely extricated myself from that rabbit hole. My current daily driver at home is a Razer BlackWidow Elite with orange switches, which are like Cherry MX browns (tactile, no click). I would have preferred Razer's linear yellow switch, but that one is like Cherry MX speed rather than MX red in that the actuation point comes sooner in the keystroke, which messes me up when typing. At work, I use a cheap Chinese-brand tenkeyless board that came with hot swappable switches. I pulled the stock ones and replaced them with Gateron yellows, which might be my favorites because they require slightly more actuation force than MX reds but not as much as blacks. I put some thin o-rings on the key caps so as not to disturb my co-workers with the bottoming out noise, and it's been a rock solid experience.

In my basement, I have a Razer BlackWidow X Tournament edition that I picked up on eBay for $17. It's in a pretty sorry state, being pretty dirty and missing several keycaps. I need to restore it but haven't had the time to do so. It'll be a spare in case something happens to the BlackWidow. While I do like clicky switches, in order to keep the wife happy, I don't use them.

7. ApostateTapir

Reputations:
    My fiance is less than happy about my Outemu blues. Just ordered some o-rings to see if we can find a happy compromise.

8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Currently I use a Sharkoon Skiller SGK3 which is basically a Corsair K95 knockoff with Kailh Switches. Got it with Kailh Blue Switches. It is a nice keyboard, especially for the money of 65 euro's. Full per key RGB etc. But they are quite loud and the aluminum chassis kinda acts like an amplifier for it. It is a very stable keyboard however.

But currently in love with the more premium low profile mechanical keyboards like the Roccat one. The old skool mechanical keycaps just look so outdated.