MC7700 Sierra Airprime card - Cheap data plan!

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Azrial, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    UPDATED

Ok... I just got the T-Mobile Pre-Paid "Free Data for Life" plan. Basically, you get 200MB of data for free, and you can pre-pay for more, if you need it, buy by the day, week or month, at any time. Check with T-Mo for rates. Yes, I know that T-Mo has a smaller footprint, but it still bigger then the one I have have now, which is strictly limited to Wi-Fi!

But if you need/use less then 200 MB, again, that is free! Now, I know that is pretty much just text email, but it works for me because I only want mobile data when I need it. It looks like the Pre-paid data runs about $10/GB, or less. The required SIM card is $20, but right now IT IS FREE.

They say that it will work with my MC7700 Sierra Wireless Airprime card (GOBI 4000), as long as it is not carrier locked. From what I understand, none of the MC7700 were carrier locked. Mine was not.

I hope that this info is helpful to someone, the last time I tried to start a thread about cheap data, it did not get much response.

I do not work for T-Mo, nor was I customer until tonight. If you know of a cheaper plan, I am all ears! But this plan works well for me! :D

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  2. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Always interesting to have cheap options.

3. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well let's see. When I took my CF-31 into the city today, there was T-Mobile in my list of available wireless networks. The only thing that I have installed is the drivers for the MC7700, I really don't know why the "Watcher" software is needed for anyway. As this card is optimize for AT&T I doubt that I will get much faster then EVDO speeds, I did not have my Name, Password, an other info with me. However, I am pretty sure that it will connect with this information.

To get LTE speeds, I could issue one of the AT commands (Thanks Shawn) to it to open the T-Mo LTE Band, BUT, that requires the "OEMPassword." Anyone know it for Sierra Wireless????

But as I see it, I have a total of $32 USD, with T-Mo SIM in an installed Gobi 4000 card that will give me not only 250MB of FREE wireless data for life, plus the ability to buy more, as needed, for less then $10/GB, with a phone call, or email and my credit card! Plus I still can try the GO Phone SIM, which may work faster/better/cheaper. Oh, and a backup GPS (BUGPS for AR guys :p )

Over all, I'm happy! :cheers:

OK, put the brakes on any plans to take advantage of this plan on your Toughbook. Even though it obviously works, T-Mo is blocking my device.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2016
    Shawn likes this.
  4. Monkey1911

Monkey1911 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  5. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Interesting. I wonder if they consider a CF19 to be a tablet?

6. Monkey1911

Monkey1911 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    From what I read in the support thread the FAQ links to, you can request your device be added and it's based on the first part of the MEID and the FCC ID. I did see someone request a MC7700 in their X230 be added but they never posted back to say if T-mobile added it or not.

7. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I really hate it when people tell me it can't be done... This was posted via T-Mobile Broadband. :D

[​IMG]

BTW, it can be done in Ubuntu Linux as well...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2016
  8. pitz

pitz Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I activated a T-Mobile "Free Data for Life" on a tablet, pulled the SIM, threw it in my MC7700-equipped laptop, and used it on T-Mobile. Ended up buying a data pass as well.

But are you claiming you can start with a fresh T-Mobile SIM with a MC7700, and get free data?

9. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, up to the 200 MB that they promise you. No, this is not a method to steal service.

I activated mine on my CF-31, not a tablet, your method, if it works, would most likely be easier. they do not want to activate the SIM on a "computer."

I had to use the OEM AT Command set to activate the LTE Band in mine.

10. Triple_Dude

Triple_Dude Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow, this sounds like an amazing idea!

Two questions:
    1) What did you ask exactly to purchase _just_ a SIM to be used with the 200MB free tablet plan? I tried requesting for it at a local T-mobile shop and they told me to bring in my tablet so they can activate it and whatnot.
    2) Let's say I get past obstacle #1, how do I issue AT commands and what do I need to issue to actually enable the LTE bands?

Thanks!