Maxwell vBIOS flashing. Need advice and comments.

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Trance003, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Trance003

Trance003 Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Hey all. I've compiled all reliable sources on flashing and BIOS modding guidelines/tips and I've added some conclusions in the NOTES at the bottom of the spoiler. Please correct me if I'm wrong as this would be helpful for future Maxwell mobile GPU owners as I can't find any pooled sources to learn from.

Question though, are all those guides applicable to mobile GPUs as they are to desktops'? Is it even possible to change vBIOS parameters as per the guides in the spoiler above?
    I'm planning to temper with my stock vBIOS (gonna make a backup ofc) to control voltages and/or adjust clocks so as to drop temperatures while I shop for my next gaming laptop.

I hope the OGs of the forums like @Mr. Fox, @D2 Ultima, @Spartan and @Johnksss (among soo many others. :D) could chime in your thoughts and advices before I proceed with this. Thanks for all the help in the past O' Great Ones!

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Hi. A lot of the information is relevant to notebook GPUs. You can use Maxwell BIOS Tweaker on 980M and the same version of NVFLASH used on a desktop 980 should work fine with 980M.

Trance003 likes this.
  3. Trance003

Trance003 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox
    Hey Brother Fox. Long time no see! :')
    Thank you for the confirmation. I was always concerned if vBIOS mods could work with mobile ones or not since I always see people needing to use Clevo- and MSI-specific BIOS to mod it.

However, I have 2 questions:
    • Is it possible to 'disable' one of the p-states through the BIOS Tweaker? Say I want to disable P0 state, effectively making P1 the most powerful p-state available. Reason for this is 0.884V (P1 voltage) is more than enough for now and I've seen stable stock core speed of 913MHz at that voltage.
    Yes, gimping a 980m is rather pointless but taking advantage of low power & heat for now is more appealing to me.

• If that's not possible, then what are the other ways to undervolt the GPU? The guides don't actually show how to micro-manage the voltages as they focus mainly on overvolts.

4. Trance003

Trance003 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey again guys.

So I've tried to flash my modded 980m vBIOS through nvflash with cert bypass (v5.287) but I got an error saying that it doesn't detect any GPU. Any reason why this is happening?

PS: I've already disabled the GPU in device manager and have tried using the --list and --protectoff commands but error prompt is the same.
    I'm so sorry for tagging you guys but I can't find any sources anywhere on how to solve this problem. :/
    @Mr. Fox @Papusan @Falkentyne @senso

My laptop specs are in the sig fyi.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    Falkentyne likes this.