MAX Q

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by wrathofdeath, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cskx2001

cskx2001 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    *sarcasm*
    But....but...but... they are advertising 'stronger' 'performance' from these newly redone cards... all the while reducing power draw... How could there possibly be reduced performance?
    /MindBlown

*edit*
    My friends Alienware 17r4 before it was swapped out says hello, it's 1070 hit 115 watts easily on many games and hard throttled because it would spike to 130 watts and freeze briefly.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. leeloyd

leeloyd Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Max Q is the last step to the Full BGA / Power Limited / Overpriced path laptop manufacturers took.

We agreed to buy those form factor... Why would they stop taking our money ?

For after sale overheating/throttling issue there are laptop forums to deal with for free !

triturbo likes this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Maybe NVidia needs more money to bring out Volta, that's why they are introducing lower clocked GPU that perform only at 60% capacity in order to maximize power savings. I wonder what NVidia is trying to achieve, even with thicker chassis its difficult to output heat in regions with high ambient temperature MAX Q will be MAX TT ( Thermal Throttling)

VICKYGAMEBOY likes this.
  4. Flaick

Flaick Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks to you now i have my eyes cleared :D

5. leeloyd

leeloyd Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nvidia's office, a marketing guy enters the engineers' open space:

Marketing guy : "Guys we're in deep S...t, Vega's right on the corner and we still have a lot of Pascal in Stock ! "
    Engineer 1: "Told you guys that the fake out of stock rumors for December would'nt work twice."
    Marketing guy : "..."
    Engineer 2 : "Ok, you know what ? We will lower even more Pascal's power limit with a special slim factor VBios. So you can sell Pascal GPU again like it being a brand new powerfull and yet efficient technology with a better Q factor."
    Marketing guy : "Thanks guys, you saved my life ! Max power and better Q factor ... Max Q ! Sounds nice."
    Engineer 1: "You've got no shame. Get out of here you peace of S..t !!"

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    Vasudev, Papusan and don_svetlio like this.
  6. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's how you understand it, but it won't be this horrible.
    It is speculated these MAX-Q cards will perform at around 85-90% the mobile GPUs seen in thick laptops with a much lower TDP. The GTX 1080 in the RBP is "not" a MAX-Q GPU, or at least; it was there before the term was even invented. It probably wasn't tweaked to run on a thin laptop, and that's why it performs worse than a thick GTX 1070.
    Time will tell, though. Hopefully this new tech doesn't cripple GPUs a lot.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Vasudev and Onetwo345 like this.
  7. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    Still though. A mobile dGPU is already 10% slower than a desktop counterpart. This brings that to a further 20-25% deficiency. We're back to the old days of a 1080 being 25-30% faster (depending on the boost clock) than a 1080M

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  8. Onetwo345

Onetwo345 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The old days were a 980m being about as good as a desktop 770 and nowhere near a desktop 980. Additionally not every laptop will be a Max Q one, so if you want a more powerful laptop just get one instead? Its not as if manufacturers are only going to make these new thin ones from now on

9. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Remember - ONLY in thin machines. Those who're looking for thin, light, somewhat more power-efficient and quiet, should totally compromise another 10-15% in raw performance. I find that absolutely okay, provided it actually performs as advertized and no pesky lies are said.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

ThatOldGuy likes this.
  10. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    Want to go back and check? :D - 980M was pulling ahead of a 780 and matching a stock 780 Ti. Feel free to look at Digital Foundry

That's what worries me - companies rarely tell the truth in marketing materials. I don't want to end up with people complaining that their 1600$ GS series 1060s are being beaten by someone's 7567 and OCed 1050 Ti

SkidrowSKT likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.