MAX Q

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by wrathofdeath, May 31, 2017.

1. wrathofdeath

wrathofdeath Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So, I don't understand... will the new q chips be faster than the current 60, 70 & 80 chips? I guess all that I'm reading about is performance per mm of chassis. IDK how this related to actual performance since the q chips will need less wattage to run at max performance it seems. And since they aren't a new design and still Pascal, I guess I just don't get the difference in GPU's, only that they will be able to shove a big mac into a water bottle.

2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
    take a look at the razer blade pro gtx 1080 as a max-q

it's a 1080, that performs slower than a gimped 1070 on an alienware 17 (115w)

so you're buying a next tier product with a slim design premium, that performs worse than a previous tier product which has already been gimped

ain't that right @Razer Customer Support @RazerCS
    huh, HUH?

Ashtrix, sasuke256, dspboys and 10 others like this.
  3. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Max-Q is marketing jargon. They are the same 60, 70, 80 chips with a purposefully lowered TDP and lowered clock boost. They are then stuffed in thin ultrabooks and sold at a premium. Its all so they can say "this 15" laptop has a GTX 1080 in it" when it is barley on the level of a GTX 1070 (and it most likely will still throttle even more because ultrabooks cant cool even a 1070)

Overall they are scamming customers with fancy graphs, charts, and "ultrathin" GTX 1070 and 1080 notebooks that perform like a GPU class below, but demand full Top end GPU price.

Biggest problem here is that, while release statements say Max-Q on the press release, they do not in the spec sheets. Many customers won't know there is a difference.

Ashtrix, ganzonomy, sasuke256 and 9 others like this.
  4. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    couldn't have said it better myself

+rep

5. shadowyani

shadowyani Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm holding my breath until I see the numbers. Evidenced-based approach or bust!

That being said, physics has a nasty habit of being real.

Onetwo345 likes this.
  6. Onetwo345

Onetwo345 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It seems interesting, I personally would like to see laptop manufacturers do a thinner more portable range like the Max-Q designs I've seen so far, alongside a thicker full power range of laptops with full TDP. They should have to show the percentage performance difference between a regular GPU and the ultrabook version in all marketing, so people aren't surprised that one is hotter and weaker despite having the same hardware. Apparently Max-Q specs say the laptop fans must be under 40 dB under full load too, so I'm looking forward to seeing what cooling solutions these thin chassis will have.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  7. cskx2001

cskx2001 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So this is that refresh that was being talked about MONTHS ago of lower TDP versions of their cards, nice.

8. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The Max-Q GPUs are basically taking 2 steps back and bringing the "M" mobile GPUs.
    1080 Max-Q is a 1080M that performs slightly under a 1070
    1070 Max-Q is a 1070M that performs slightly above the 1060
    1060 Max-Q is a 1060M that performs around an OCed 1050 Ti

At least how I understand it

shinryu744 likes this.
  9. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    and max-q laptop cost more than the normal machines that outperform them

10. Onetwo345

Onetwo345 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'd like to see some specs soon before stating that the GPUs will be worse than the class below. Also I doubt it'll be that bad, a full power 1060 can and will fit in a thin laptop without any real problems eg aero 15. So theres no reason to make it run like a 1050? If they can keep the majority of a chips performance while at a lower TDP this can only be a good thing. Also I doubt every single gaming laptop will adopt this design so people shouldn't worry, there will still be plenty of non Max-Q machines so if it's not your thing no problem. However many people (myself included) would trade some performance for a thin and light gaming laptop that can be carried all day. As long as it's not at an inexcusable price premium