Matte Screen Laptop for All Purpose / Programming

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Omer D, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Omer D

Omer D Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am looking for a laptop to use for programming (CLion / Visual Studio / Multiple browser tabs ) and for regular use. I would like a good 15 matte screen and a good keyboard. For reference, I like Thinkpad T500 style keyboards with decent "travel" and clear "clicks" and don't like flat keyboards that much. It's also important for me to try and find a relatively cool laptop, even if it's slightly slower (i5 and not i7 etc.)

I would like a relatively non-bulky laptop that would be relatively easy to carry in a backpack. However, I'd rather have a slightly heavier laptop with better cooling than an extremely thin laptop that heats often. RAM should be 8GB or 16GB and hard-drive probably a 512GB SSD.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    700$

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    Internet

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    Lenovo, Dell, Asus
    b. Dislike:
    Acer, Apple
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Programming, internet, watching videos

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Take it with me (but use mostly on a desk)

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    No

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Not that critical - probably more than 4 (though the higher the better I guess).

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    OK - as long as the keyboard/screen are considered good

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080p (16x10 would be awesome, but they don't exist afaik)

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Matte

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    No

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    Around 500GB

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Now

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    4 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    Irrelevant

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Probably not

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure the internet is not a county. Where you are has a big effect on what you'll get. Normally, I'd suggest a ThinkPad from the Lenovo Outlet, but you put the $ after the amount, which suggests that you're not in los Estados Unidos, which leaves that option off the table.

3. Omer D

Reputations:
    Thanks. Sorry for that. The country is Israel (but I might buy from another country, or ask someone abroad etc.)

4. Omer D

Reputations:
  5. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If you were in the US, I'd say both the L580/T580 with FHD lcd and low watt quad core, which will give you considerably more processing power than a T560 could be had in the Lenovo Outlet under budget, though some patience may be required. You can get an E series too, though that means no backlit keyboard. You can likely get the E series new under budget, which means you'll probably have International Warranty Service from Lenovo in Israel. Outlet machines won't offer IWS.

The T560 is a fine machine. It just no longer offers top performance. The one on Amazon is being sold by a third party. If you buy from Amazon, it's rock solid. A third party seller is more of a leap of faith. The chances you have a problem are small in my opinion, but if you do, it'll be a major hassle to get fixed.

Just so you know, no one is making keyboards like the old school ThinkPads, not even Lenovo. They're all chiclet keyboards these days. I personally like the new ThinkPad ones, but I'm more of a 35WPM typist. Some old school ThinkPadders really dislike them.

6. Omer D

Reputations:
    Thanks! I am looking at the E590 at the moment. I think I will get the integrated version because I heard there could be heating issues with the hybrid. Is the integrated ok in your experience?
    I think I'll get used to the new keyboards. I also have an external Thinkpad keyboard somewhere :)

7. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    An integrated GPU is gong to be more than enough for your needs. The ThinkPad E-series is a fine choice. It has a better keyboard layout than Dell's Latitude 15-inch lineup. HP's EliteBook series is also worth considering, though they tend to be on the expensive side.

Charles

JRE84 likes this.