Matt LeBlanc is named Top Gear's new host

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Tinderbox (UK), Feb 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Monotone. The episode felt forced chemistry wise, stale content wise, and completely devoid of opinions, engaging competitiveness, and less BBC-friendly lines. It was repetitive in more than one way, Sabine was misused in a scripted setting, and Ferrari threw in a PR stunt. For now, I don't think I'll watch another episode unless a change in public opinion makes me think they've successfully addressed their sore points.

Even if BBC's Top Gear could live in perfect harmony with Amazon's The Grand Tour, Evans and LeBlanc aren't meeting the expectation of just another car show, but that of a reboot of a beloved, long-running franchise. Had there been less tension, they'd still need to sell themselves as quirky, likeable characters.

2. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Evans should probably go (for comedic effect, Adam Savage should replace him :p). Most of the crew are trying to force a "car expert" persona on themselves when they're barely any more knowledgeable about cars than I am (a layman, basically). Sabine seems to be the only one who knows what she's talking about, though the whole point of Top Gear is comedy, not just car facts. The Viper v 'Vette comparison was very much meh. Overall seems about as bad, if not worse, than the first season or two of TG USA. I should probably check out Fifth Gear to compare against the new Top Gear.

I'm not holding my breath for the new TG UK. TG USA has matured since the third season and is actually pretty decent now. BBC will be desperate enough to try anything to keep Top Gear afloat, and I imagine it can get pretty bad pretty quick depending on how others receive the new show. Amazon says that The Grand Tour should be coming out sometime this fall, so I have my $100 ready for Amazon Prime. And, to top it all off, when I move to my new apartment this June I won't have TV service, hence I won't have BBC America, hence I don't have to worry about the new Top Gear anymore since I won't be able to watch it (thankfully).

3. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Last year I quipped that the only way they can ruin Top Gear Mk.3 is trying too hard to be Top Gear Mk.2.

They tried too hard to be Top Gear Mk.2.

4. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Okay, some more detail on my opinion.
    Top Gear Mk.1 is kinda dull if you're not a full-on gearhead. If you've seen Fifth Gear? That's what Top Gear Mk.1 was (in fact, Fifth Gear is a continuation of the original Top Gear).

Top Gear Mk.2 started over from scratch. It was still a motoring show but it also wanted to be an entertaining show. It took the show 2 or 3 series -- and replacing first series presenter Jason Dawe with James May -- to figure out how to make that happen and find their groove. And they did make it happen and they did find their groove. And they wore that groove into a rut. By series 20 the show had gotten stale and repetitive, but the chemistry between the presenters at least kept it entertaining.

Which brings me to Top Gear Mk.3. The first episode of Top Gear Mk.2 starts with some driving footage with a voice over by Clarkson informing viewers that the new show is definitively not the old one. The first episode of Top Gear Mk.3 starts with what Mk.2 series 23 might have been had it been Clarkson/Hammond/May (The Lads) but with a different cast, a cast lacking the chemistry that The Lads had built over a decade of making Top Gear Mk.2.

It didn't work. It tried too hard to be Top Gear Mk.2 and didn't try hard enough to be itself.

5. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So. I've seen episodes two and three now.

They're not bad. In fact, they're much improved over the first episode. It's like the first episode exists to appease the bean counters at the BBC while two and three are the cast and crew figuring out what they want to do with the show. They're very much like the first couple of series with Clarkson, Hammond, Dawe and May in this regard. This is a good thing.

I'm still not sold on Chris Evans, though. Something about his hyper-caffeinated shtick seems off to me.

6. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Haven't gotten a chance to watch the two new episodes since my new apartment doesn't have TV service. Any way to view them online?

7. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    BBC should sack Evans, and leave the show to Schmitz, LeBlanc and other guys.

8. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    GTA5 Top Gear is better than New Top Gear:

killkenny1 likes this.
  9. ratinox

ratinox Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm not quite ready to say they should fire Evans, but I do think they need to swap his and LeBlanc's "roles" on the show. Let Matt do the comedy (he's much better at it than Evans) and let Evans be himself (he's much better at this than he is at playing Jeremy Clarkson's stand in).

10. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations:
    Jarhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.