Marine Looking for Gaming Notebook for Duty Station

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by jet757f, Jun 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jet757f

jet757f Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    One of my sons will be graduating from boot camp next month. He sent me a letter requesting that I find
    a decent gaming/networking notebook for him. I have not been keeping up with the latest technology so I am
    not sure what is available right now. I think he wants something under $2500 and of course it should be
    reliable. I have the Dell Precision which has been flawless.

I did see the Razor mentioned on here but not sure if they are available right now.
    I'm not sure which screen size he would want at this time.
    I don't think he cares whether it is IPS or TN type screen.
    I'm sure it should be fairly mobile since he could be moving around a lot.

I don't have all the answers for the questions at this time. My communication with him is slow right now
    since all we can do is write letters.

Thanks

2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Honestly... The Razer Blade is a really solid option. Its not the most powerful gaming laptop (does he have any games in particular he wants to play?) But its still good enough to play any game out today on high or ultra settings. It's also built like a tank with unrivaled unibody aluminum construction for a gaming laptop, is extremely thin, and has decent battery life, and a beautiful 3k touchscreen.

If he wants more power I'd recommend the Sager NP8658-S laptop with a 980m and 1080p (or 4k if you want) GSync display (Gsync is an amazing technology that stops stuttering and tearing making gaming more enjoyable)

Both of these laptops come with 16 GB of ram and i7 6700hq quad core processors.

Congrats on your sons upcoming graduation!

Edit: The Sager is also pretty portable, and also has aluminum construction. Alienware laptops are much larger, and have gone down in quality a bit in recent years.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  3. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  4. ananas

ananas Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Probably the top configuration of the XPS 15 or, as Galm noted, the Razer Blade (2016).
    Another laptop that comes into my mind is Gigabyte p35x v5, which is both faster and cheaper than the Blade, still pretty thin, but looks less "sharp-looking".

5. Galm

Reputations:
    The XPS 15 only has a 960m. If you know you want to game the 970m is 70% faster and way better. Additionally, the XPS 15 has some pretty severe throttling problems that make it not a great option for people who want to game. The Gigabyte P35X also has some throttling and quality issues, which is why I normally recommend the Sager NP8658 over it.

6. jet757f

jet757f Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for your advice. Of all of the ones mentioned which would be the most reliable? Do these companies make their own notebooks
    or are they made by someone else? What company is Razor? They must be fairly new?

7. Galm

Reputations:
    Razer makes their own laptops. They are... sort of new. They have made gaming mice for years, and mice like the Razer Deathadder are still among the best of the best. The Razer Blade 14 started in 2013 I believe, but used to be extremely expensive. The price came down to starting around 2000 now, but they didn't cut corners, so its a great machine.

Here's a review from Dave Lee:

Sager is more complicated. Sager is a company that basically takes Clevo laptops, and sells them in the U.S. Clevo laptops are known for excellent price to performance, and all the higher end models (what you would be looking at) also have nice build quality. The one I'm talking about is the Sager NP8658 which is a fairly thin high end 15" laptop with a very high end graphics card.

Here's a review from LinusTechTips of the Venom Blackbook (which I'm sorry I know this is confusing, is just the Australian version)
    One thing to note is the model is now old, the current one has a much much better screen, otherwise its pretty much the same.

Edit:
    Reliability is always hard to know for certain. Gaming laptops are never as reliable as business laptops, but the two I gave you are two of the best built ones. Both can get extended warranties, and aren't going to fall apart like some consumer HP or Acer garbage, but they aren't like Dell Latitudes either (which have survived getting run over by cars). As long as you take decent care of them neither the Razer nor the Sager should fail.

8. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    I'd still buy the 17R3 on the ebay link. You have an unlocked processor and the option to connect a GA down the road for GPU upgrade.

9. Galm

Reputations:
    I'm not sure that's a great option. For starters, for gaming, the i7 6700hq in the Blade is no where near a bottleneck for 99% of games. Additionally, the Razer Blade has a thunderbolt III port with the Razer core available should that be an option to take. At the same time, the Razer Blade is leagues more portable than a massive 17" Alienware.

The Blade is closer to an ultrabook than most other gaming laptops, while the Alienware 17" is one of the largest machines out there with a much larger screen and almost twice as thick chassis.

I don't really have anything against Alienware, but I don't see how a 17" behemoth fits the term "portable". A Razer Blade will slip into a backpack with ease, an AW 17 cannot.

10. Mobius 1

Reputations:

try the 15R2 with 6820HK from authorized resellers on ebay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.