Manufacturer may have wrongfully cancelled my order for a notebook computer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JWBlue, Apr 12, 2018.

?

Should the manufacturer honor my order?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JWBlue

JWBlue Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I do not want to give the name of this computer manufacturer. I want to avoid putting a negative light on the company when it might not be deserved.

I ordered a notebook computer. I received a confirmation for the order.

Two days later I received an email that the order had been delayed. An hour after that I received an email that the order was cancelled.

I went on the manufacturer's website and a system with identical specifications was available for $165 more. The part number was the only difference.

I am torn with this. Part of me believes I should receive the system I ordered. Part of me realizes there is more to part availability when selling a computer. There are costs involved. Costs for the same parts could have increased. Companies can not stay in business selling products for a loss.

Should the manufacturer honor my order?

2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If it's Dell it happens all the time, I rarely hear of any other company doing this to customers.

I'd share who did this to you, as it's exactly the kind of shenanigan's potential customers need to hear about.

Not a good way to start a business relationship, I'd go elsewhere.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Arrrrbol likes this.
  3. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Give them a call and calmly and succinctly explain what occurred, and what you're seeing of their website now- and why was it cancelled in the first place. If they have the item in stock, ask them to honor your order price. If they say no, ask to speak to a supervisor and demand it.

Arrrrbol and hmscott like this.
  4. JWBlue

JWBlue Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I do not know if this is relevant or not. Ship time is 4-5 weeks.

hmscott likes this.
  5. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    I had an order in for Dell once, and their shipping time was delayed and I decided to cancel. This was my choice. From what you posted, they straight out cancelled your order. If your order was processed, they should honor it. They have the product as you say. For some reason they do not, they should honor something similar or a slight upgrade to make it right. You have to give them a call and find out what's going on to make a correct analysis of what has happened. Don't assume they won't make it right. Good luck and keep us posted as to the results.

hmscott likes this.
  6. JWBlue

JWBlue Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I did exactly this. After explaining the issue I just asked why the order was cancelled. I didn't even ask or demand the order be filled.

It turns out it was a system error. The order was reinstated. I guess there is so much bad in the world I assumed something nefarious.

The customer service rep could not have been more professional. After the call I submitted the phone survey regarding the service I received.

I am glad I posted this thread.

I view the overall experience as a positive. Technology is not perfect. I am just glad the issue was resolved. Some people might view what happened as a negative so I am hesitant to give the company name.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Convel, katalin_2003, hmscott and 3 others like this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Are there no other sellers of this product in your area? That seems like a long time to fulfillment.

Given their ordering software already glitched, I'd watch it daily for changes or progress.

As you've described it so far it fits exactly the Dell F*up process, if it is Dell this has a high possibility of being canceled again. And / or delays occurring right before shipment, repeatedly.

Good luck. :)