1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Manually keep backlight keyboard on Sony Vaio Z21

Discussion in 'Sony' started by Butters149, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Butters149

Butters149 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi,

I just bought new sony vaio 21 and was wondering how can i keep the backlight keyboard on all the time? or manually switch it on and off?
    Thanks,

2. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    VAIO Control Center> Keyboard and mouse. :)

3. MikeYbarra

MikeYbarra Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No option exists to keep it on all the time. It has a auto-shut off at max length of 60 seconds (when KB not used). I too wish an option existed to keep it on in the dark all the time.

Software seems fairly buggy (as always).

4. Blahman

Blahman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Could you elaborate on this and explain how to do what he is asking? That is if it can be done.

5. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Why would you want to keep it on for more than 60 seconds? I have my display turn off after 2 minutes.

Quick way to turn on the backlight without disturbing anything is to press the shift key. Pressing the caps lock key twice is also good.

EDIT: are you thinking about putting the laptop in a display or something? Is that whay you want the keyboard backlit all the time?

6. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Why not? I have my SC's KB light on at all times when it's plugged in...

Then again, I'm a former Alienware owner, so maybe it's just a different camp of thought :p

EDIT: though on the battery, it shuts off after 10sec, and only activates if it's dark.

7. electronicsguy

electronicsguy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It does have a 'do not turn off' option... you just need to update the vaio control center manually from a recent newwer laptop model like SA. Sony update sucks in its stupid micro-management of software across different product lines.

8. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey! That's a good trick. Do you know which model's Control Center I should try to use? I have a VPCZ1.

9. Butters149

Butters149 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How do u update to the SA version? Also I wish that this keyboard backlight was more even and brighter, like the macbooks

10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:
    I just read this thread and it made my head spin a bit.

First, is it understood that the OP wants to be able to turn on the keyboard backlight at will, not only when the sensor thinks it's dark enough?

Second, on the reccommendation that a "newer" Vaio Control Center be downloaded, such as the one for the SA, what could be newer than the Z21 the OP has? The SA has been out for months, and the Z21 for one month. Perhaps the SA has had a newer update?

Third, I've had the same concern with my Z11 and I resoved it in a very low tech way: placed a tiny, carefully cut piece of black electrical tape over the sensor. I still have to press a key to get the light to go on, and it will turn off after no activity after whatever shut-off time is set, but it's really not very inconvenient. I find it easiest to just go for the Ctrl key in the lower left, using it like a keyboard light on switch.

Hope this helps. It was just a little disconcerting to read a thread when it seemed like no one got the point of the OP's request.

11. jeremyshaw

Reputations:
    Everyone got the point. Not everyone saw why, however.

The tape trick has one issue: the stops the auto backlight gain (for the screen itself) from working properly, if it matters to you.

As anytimer said, the S 2011 owners found the SA's Vaio CC/Event service had the option, while all others in the S 2011 line didn't. Merely installing the SA's VCC and Event service made the lower models work like the SA.

12. lovelaptops

Reputations:
    Ok, so maybe it was I who misunderstood the comments.

But help me out, you are still referring to S series computers, and the OP has a Z21. Do you think that the programs are the same for the CC/ES for the S series as the Z, particularly the new and radically redesigned Z21?

13. ZoinksS2k

ZoinksS2k Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If this allows the "do not turn off" option, you are my new best friend. This is one of the features I miss from the Z1

I tried to do this, unsuccessfully, with the Z1x control center. I also tried mod'ing the XML, but didn't have any luck there either.

14. jeremyshaw

Reputations:
    I was kinda refering to both. I'll note the SC's normal Vaio CC and Event service is several versions behind the SA's. However, I doubt they are the same programs between different lines, as I myself would not dare try this myself (and the wrong software can perma-brick a device/component - like the Dell m15x A05 BIOS and stock AlienFX program killing off the LED control unit).

15. ZoinksS2k

Reputations:
    I'm trying now :)

16. jeremyshaw

Reputations:
    Well, in that case, extract the SA's stuff with UniExtractor, and uninstall the Vaio CC + Event service beforehand.

17. ZoinksS2k

Reputations:
    No need to extract, the SA installers seem to be OK with the Z2.

The VPCSA2SG/T seems to have the newest stuff.

EDIT: Spoke too soon, the notebook utilities no likey the Z2

18. lovelaptops

Reputations:
    So, do you think it's fine to install the SA programs in the Z as long as you extract them, or is it a high risk thing to try?

Also, If you cannot install drivers and programs across Sony model lines, can you always use the drivers for the most recent model in your series, eg, Z13 drivers for Z11 and Z12, newest SA with SB/SC?

19. ZoinksS2k

Reputations:
    I'll be calling shenanigans on the "upgrade to get new features" bit. Didn't work.

Everything worked OK, just the same way.

20. jeremyshaw

Reputations:
    lol. As I ntoed above, the SA had newer versions than the SC, so for the SC owners, including me, it was definately an upgrade :) I remember talking with bladestorm and one other person, and we eventually figured it out.