Making the switch; some questions.

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by BetaFire, Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BetaFire

BetaFire Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Next year I"ll be making the switch from PC to Mac for college, as I need OSX to do the major that I'm going into. Now I've used Macs enough to get around just fine and don't have much problem with them. I love the UI and the simplicity.

But I'm also a partial PC gamer, and I have a few questions regarding this. I know you have to partition a drive to install Windows, which I'm fine with. But say I dedicate 80 GB of storage to the Windows partition; if I fill up that 80GB with the OS and games, am I simply out of luck? Can I run a game on Windows if it is installed in the other partition? If not, can I change the partition size of either of them?

Lucky for me, the games that I've been playing most recently (Valve games and Diablo 3) are available on OSX. But I love Tribes: Ascend more than any multiplayer game I've played in ages, and that's a Windows exclusive. I know the 650M (or whatever card they'll have next year) will run it just fine, despite bootcamp not having the best drivers out there.

Also, any other general tips would be great. I plan on getting a SSD so I don't think I'll have much issues with the hard drive slowing down. Thanks to everyone in advance.

2. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    generally you cant enlarge your primary logical partition. So yes in the case o windows, you are going to be out of luck. In the case of OSX this is not specifically true.

3. qhn

qhn Notebook User

Reputations:
    Would it be simpler to leave the Apple machine for education and some games, and the rest with your current Windows Machine? By next year hopefully all your fav games would be ported under OS X

cheers ...

4. BetaFire

BetaFire Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    True, I suppose that's very possible. But I did have another idea; what would happen if I filled my windows partition with the OS and games and the like, could I just buy an external hard drive to store more Steam games? It seems like that would work.

Also, a new question: what if I wanted to get rid of Windows all together at some point in time? Is it possible to delete the partition and the OS, or would I have to reformat the drive entirely? I've never reformatted a drive, the thought is a little intimidating.

5. Karamazovmm

Reputations:
    when it comes to space Im quite fastidious, try that. i have lacked space in windows a few times, what I did was to uninstall games. They are not needed, they are there to give me some fun, without them i still earn money, with them occupying everything I earn less.

But yes you can instal games on a usb drive.

6. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's one of the coolest things about bootcamp. The bootcamp utility will nuke the windows partition and add it back to the OS X partition. It's really easy.

7. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's possible, but not something I would recommend. Having to carry around an external drive kind of defeats the purpose, IMO.

If you're looking at the "classic" MacBook Pro, one thing you can do is remove the optical drive and replace it with a hard drive. Then you can have an SSD from which to boot OS X and Windows to take advantage of the speed, while having a traditional platter drive for media and game storage.

8. BetaFire

BetaFire Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    A new thought occurred to me. Since Steam OS neutral, could I not just boot up Steam in Windows despite it being in the other partition? If so, I could just install the games on the OSX side and not have to worry about space.

9. Karamazovmm

Reputations:
    no you cant. 99% of the games in windows use the directx api, which wont be present in the OSX, its made by MS for MS. Here is the deal, you like gaming a lot, imagine that 20-30gb is going to be win only, put 10-20gb for each game that you play, since it appears that you want at least 5 games in there, dedicate the space accordingly.

10. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    I'd say the percentage is more like 90% of AAA titles and 40-60% of indie titles (and shifting away at a slow but steady pace), but whether games use DirectX or not doesn't make a difference here. The game applications are compiled separately for each platform and aren't compatible at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.