Major problem on new Asus k75vm with ssd

Discussion in 'Asus' started by nikolatesla, Sep 2, 2012.

1. nikolatesla

nikolatesla Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello to all. First of all, thank you for having this forum since Asus service where I live charge you extra money for calling them (like calling line-and it's not a joke!)
    So I've bought Asus k75vm and everithing for now it's ok but one thing-ssd disk seams not running on this machine.
    Ssd is Sandisk SDSSDP-128Gb,Read speeds up to 490MB/s sata III. According to various performance programs, I have Sata II Hard disk (hitachi 5400rpm 500gb).
    So, I opened the ssd, put it in one of two bays for hdd and the first time everything was ok. I installed win7 on it , reboot it in 15 seconds and everything ok. BUT! The next time I've tried it's was saing "reboot or place hard drive bla-bla". I tried several times-nothing. After 5 hours, I've powered it again and was good. Than try again and nothing. sometimes it is recognized by BIOS and sometimes it's not. Even if bios recognize the drive, it want boot from it-it's starts but after windows logo it freezes and crashes. I have tried on on other 6 laptops and SSD runs without problem. I have try to update bios, to reformat ssd , to switch hdd bays, to switch IDE and AHCI in bios,but no success. What could be the problem?Thank you and sorry for my bad english

2. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
    Did your system come with a conventional hard drive? IF it did, were there any problems when you used it?
    Also does the SSD you bought have a SANFORCE controller?

AHA a fan of the great engineer, welcome to the forum, have you tried contacting the vendor you got the K75 from? I am sure if you bought from gentechPC for instance they would be able to help you out, especially if the vendor did the upgrade.
    Note I can not find that exact model number, could it be the Sandisk U100 or X100 ?
    Are you using HWINFO64 or HWINFO32 to see the stats on your system? HWiNFO, HWiNFO32 & HWiNFO64 - Hardware Information and Analysis Tools

3. nikolatesla

Reputations:
    Hello! First of all, thank you for your reply! My laptop came with the normal hdd (hitachi 5400 rpm) and ther are no problems with it-just with ssd disk SATA 6.0gb/s...
    I am running win 7 64 bit and The model of the disk is
    Solid State Drive (SSD) by SanDisk

Any idea?

4. jason1008

jason1008 Newbie

Reputations:
    I do have the same probem!

I'm using ASUS A75VM (in Taiwan call a75vm ,it the same thing with K75vm) and i try to use the Kingston HyperX SSD 240GB (SATAIII) as system disk.

but it always shows that i'm using SATAII SSD,LOL

So the speed stuck at 260Mb/s 220Mb/s (r/w)
    It should be 550/510!!! Aawwwwwwwwww!

Do you have any idea , :( ?

5. nikolatesla

Reputations:
    So your notebook recognize sata III? My doesn't! I have tried with sata II and it works perfect but SATAIII it's not recognized by the system...Like I haven't put nothing in the bay!

6. jason1008

jason1008 Newbie

Reputations:
    i'm so sad :( i got the reply from the engineer of ASUS.

"Intel HM76 晶片組確實原生支援 SATA3
    但晶片組支援不等於主機板支援
    此臺筆電的主機板硬碟介面最高僅支援 SATA2
    故加裝 SATA3 硬碟也只能跑到 SATA2 的速度

除了出廠即使用 SSD 作為主硬碟的筆電
    基本上市面上其他廠商的筆電產品也是同樣狀況

此為行業技術所限
    考慮到成本及產品性價比,短期內應無改善"

It's saying that "although this notebook use the intel hm76 chip which support SATA3, but it doesn't means that the motherboard support SATA3(Welcom To Facebook!?)
    This notebook's hard driver only support SATA2, so if you add on a SATA3 SSD it can still only reach SATA2's speed.
    ........."

oh, man. then why do they use this chip, i'm so mad now.

7. nipsen

nipsen Notebook Ditty

Reputations:
    Actually, the controller does support sata 3 (and people with the older.. 1.5 year old a70 variant on the n53tk/ta have successfully modded the bios to enable it, with no issues).

What happens is that Asus says they "do not support it, because the laptop originally did not come with a sata3 drive". Then justify crippling their laptops and pissing their customers off - by saying they were idiots and didn't sell the system as well as they should have at the beginning. Presumably thanks to them being technical analphabets, and unable to hire an engineer with a working brain.

Same thing as the ram-timing. One of their guys actually said that they locked /the ram-timing/ to prevent people from overclocking the cpu. That's how awesome they are. I asked about it, and the guy didn't want to be corrected on how it works. He just ignored any protests.

But yes - you could be using that ssd at sata3 speeds, if an asus guy opened up their amibcp software, made three clicks with the mouse (setting the "gen2" option to "gen3". Or better yet - "auto"), saved and signed the bios, and uploaded it.

And that's not going to happen, because Asus' support and aftermarket division is the stuff of legends.

8. nikolatesla

Reputations:
    Thank you for your answer! But my problem is that SSD sata 3 IS NOT RECOGNIZED in bios and neither in windows(more precisely it will boot 1 of 30 times I try- it says INSERT BOOTRG ecc....)
    So the problem isn't the speed but the fact that I insert ssd and my laptop says that the hard disk its not inserted....30 times says like that and 1 time it iz recognized. When it's recognized if I go on START and left click RESTART it boots without problem but if I go on SHOT DOWN the ssd dissapears and for next 30.40 times bios don't recognize it.

9. nipsen

nipsen Notebook Ditty

Reputations:
    Oh.. Thanks for ruining my perfectly good rant :p

Solid State Drive support information

Try installing their newest firmware. Depending on your windows-version, it could be like someone said, that the drive is put in a state that stops it from responding after shutdown. Rare, but it happens. But it's difficult to guess about it.. If you open the event-viewer, do you have anything interesting there after a boot? Or do you get any warnings over and over at shutdown, etc.?

edit: Just one thing - sata3 devices are backwards-compatible. There's no such thing as a sata3 drive that can't boot in a computer with a sata1/2 controller.

10. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Actually there was one Asus notebook that wasn't taking SATA 3 SSDs, i don't remember which one though, but it's somewhere in the NBR Asus forums.

Your rant is still valid, Asus was better than this before and they need to get their act together regarding that and customer support as well.