Major Battery Issues Plague Razer Laptops

Discussion in 'Razer' started by signer, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    I’ve definitely seen other manufacturers have this issue also. But, it is Razer so I’m not surprised. Though I’m guessing it’s an issue with the batteries themselves and not how Razer built the machine. Though it wouldn’t surprise me if they never bothered to switch suppliers if they kept giving them bad batteries.

Seeing a lot of 99wh batteries in these CES laptops being announced, so hopefully we see less of this is 2020 from all manufacturers.

Joikansai likes this.
  2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It is about the difference in severity. There are one off cases for every brands through. It is the amount that differs and Razer doesnt even sell 60000 Blade Stealths a year. What they sell is peanuts compare to the others. They are making as stated in their financial result papers a huge loss on system after service.

Razer didnt design and build this system. They are using BYD as a system designer and supplier. They also manufacture the batteries themselves (they are actually the company that copies electric cars in China)

3. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    You guys are ignoring another factor. All these manufacturers are pushing thin and light machine with high power components that generate a ton of heat. Laptops in the past had external/removal batteries in their own chassis separate from the main chassis, giving them some thermal isolation. Cramming all this stuff in one spot has been problematic for years with CPU temps bouncing off the limiter and SSD controller temps also bouncing off the limiter. I don’t understand how these “engineers” are just ignoring thermal constraints.

A battery’s worst nightmare is exposure to high temperature.

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's not the engineers fault - necessarily - it's the customers that demand impossible products - thin and light yet full performance laptops that ignore proper thermal management and result in creating unsafe battery environments, not to mention the rest of the components that get starved of cooling, like high performance SSD's.

When this trend started many of us tried to help potential owners understand the problem, and to steer them toward large frame laptops if they wanted to game or do real work. Unfortunately it was the manufacturers that held that role and fell down on the job.

In order to stay in business they've had to cater to what people will buy, and the large frame laptop with adequate cooling isn't popular - even though it's the only size that makes sense technically to be able to expel the heat and protect the components in the laptop.

Many of us also tried to help potential buyers to clearly realize that thin and light laptops were for posing for selfies. Those laptops are "props" for filming, not for using.

The thinner the laptops are the noisier they are too when actually using them, and that is just one more thing manufacturers have "solved" by allowing components to overheat.

I've shared my experience of when I finally couldn't use Apple laptops because every model thermal throttled and screamed their little fans out when I tried to do my normal workload on them. I wasn't even doing any batch processing, just loading up my remote access software, development software and some support items.

As each Apple laptop was configured for work and failed to perform I took it back to Apple and showed them the problem, they scratched their heads because they couldn't believe the Apple Engineers would put out such a product that failed to perform actual work.

This was in 2012 or thereabouts...

Apple let me take out each model available that season configure it for work, and subsequently return it for a full refund because I could show them it was not cooling adequately to do my job.

The last Apple Macbook I tried was the 17", and it got closest to any of them, but it was the last year model of the 17", and it had already been thinned down to uselessness - higher hotter performance had finally met the thin form factor and the form factor failed.

It's gotten so bad that for the last couple of years many more makes / models have done the same, wasted their batteries quickly under high thermal load, bloating and ruining their chassis and needing full replacement.

I'm pretty sure it's potentially gonna happen to each and every model of thermally unprotected laptop battery using the newer packaging and chemistry that exhibit's this sensitivity to heat - something has changed or the heat has increased past the level the battery's can operate.

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Not the full truth, bro Hmscott. The engineers or the OEM manufacurers think they know what the customers want!
    upload_2020-1-14_22-54-24.png
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...eaving-alienware.829424/page-11#post-10980364

Dell thought the idea with soldered Storage was a good/great idea. They never asked what the customers wanted when they pushed out soldered storage in their thinner Dell Jokebook last year.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    hmscott and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Hmm... a smartphone with a 13-inch screen would be a lot more desirable than a tiny turdbook with soldered storage and memory. If you're going to stoop that low, then you might as well have a cheap price to reflect the cheap engineering. No point in buying some dead-end piece of crap like this when you can get an Android tablet or Chromebook for about $200.

Papusan likes this.
  7. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    They sell millions of Macbooks and Dell XPS'es a year and even though there are some one off cases of abttery bloat with those machines and brands as well. They are by far not as common as what you see with Razer. While Razer yet has to touch 100k units sold a year! A well manufactured battery is able to sustain the stresses thanks to just good overall chemical qualities & batteries with proper load balancing between cells. Razer Batteries have none of that and even puff up in Stealth ultrabooks that dont nearly get as hot as the full size Blade lineup.

In the end I end up tweaking the **** out of my systems to keep the temps around 80c during gaming load but I know with this Razer crap I can expect a fairly high chance still of having a bloated battery in time. The only thing I can do is catch it in time and buy a replacement battery until I replace this laptop. Hopefully soon I have to travel less like I have to do now and I will just build a proper desktop again and have a less powerful laptop for my travel days.

Regarding the soldered stuff. Soldered memory and SSD's is where I draw the line. I couldnt care less about soldered CPU's and GPU's. Intel changes sockets more frequently than I change laptops and the GPU upgrade boards are just too expensive for what they offer (and do take space). But not being able to just quickly swap an SSD for an upgrade (or just a faulty drive) is just a big no for me.

8. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    MacBook was designed to run hot:D. Back in 2012 was upgraded my laptop from Qosmio x505 to MBP 2012 and use as work and gaming laptop, GTA, FIFA, AC I play mostly on that with crappie fps but playable to me at that time. Yes it runs 90ish, but idk maybe I’m just lucky that Applebook still runs Catalina and 1909 very well only maybe 150 bucks ssd and ram upgrade in this...6 years. Since I use rarely on the go (battery) since 2014 (upgrade to Razer Edge), and now I still can get good two hours windows. I never regretted throwing bucks on this laptop. Just upgraded to 2019 base model in fact, and with core help I play fallen order sometimes for fun on the internal display which is quite good since the color and sound is decent on this jokebook, well external speaker is better though but for fun it’s just great:p
    Stealth is cool if you’re using it as ultrabook but stealth before 2019 was hot when you paired with external gpu like Razer Core. Thanks to power limitation, but even I removed it it still can manage 80ish max spike, meant they do better cooling on new model.
    Lol comparing Razer with Dell or Apple, Razer has only 3 laptops models now with specs difference it’s bigger though, they even sacrificed the tablet for concentrating in laptop, and the idea maybe is stolen by Alienware on project UFO.

hmscott likes this.
  9. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Its the users fault if they start removing limits that are in place for a reason but in general they run cooler. But I cant imagine that more than 25% would remove those limits. Macbooks run hot always out of the box but their battery designs are sublime and they use great manufacturers.

and ofcourse I compare Razer to the likes of Dell and Apple. They are asking the same amount of money! We arent talking about cheap Acer budget laptops (and you could argue even that those are more reliable). a tablet with add on controllers are not Razer's invention nor are those of NIntendo. NIntendo perfected it though so I think the credits should go to Nintendo. But Alienware iterates and improves heavily on it. Would be an instabuy for me.

hmscott likes this.
  10. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Apple and dellbook aren’t same with Razer, Alienware I would say m15ish. Performance wise also asked money.
    It is literally Razer Edge painted white:D, added with recent specs. No after Switch came out it literally swapped my Razer edge, I don’t need work out anymore:vbbiggrin: when playing games on handheld mode. If it comes with TB3 it’ll be different story though, pairing windows tablet with core is one of my dream, but asus transformer the name I think, thermally throttle a lot and I think it was 2 lanes.
    Wait this’s out of topic, yes you’re maybe true the battery on MacBook is looks like day one, the capacity weared though. Stealth 2016 and my old Blade 14 was running hotter than current units so if I keep it over 2 years maybe I’d get them also pregnant idk, but both units are sold to someone I know they didn’t tell me anything though (live in other city so I don’t see them often) but I told if there’s anything wrong they can use my id for repair on Blade 14 since I sold it with EU rest guarantee (8 months rest from 2 years but I think now already passed). I’ll contact him and asking about it later.