Magnetic sensor/switch issue on Asus G53SW-XN1 when closing the lid

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by Sadozai, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sadozai

Sadozai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @ sumik I did the same as you did but this is only a half solution to the problem and is very frustrating not to be able to close the lid. I think many more have gone through the same problem and only a few have been able to diagnose the real cause of the problem. After much gruelling search I got to the base of the problem and it has got nothing to do with the touch pad ribbon or power button.

All the problem lies in the lid closing and the real culprit is the magnetic field sensor/switch which gets activated when the lid closes and doesn't go back to the default state or doesn't send proper signal to the system when the lid opens which makes the system believe that the lid is still closed and thus the power button does not work. Removing the ribbon is a half solution that forces you to compromise on touch pad , status indicator LEDs and lid close functionality. If you put the ribbon back in the system, the laptop works fine as long as the lid is not closed. But as soon as you close the lid the same magnetic field sensor/switch fault occurs. The solution is very very simple. In fact much more simple than removing or inserting back the touch pad ribbon.

1) If you have previously removed the touch pad ribbon, all you need to do is just put the touch pad ribbon back in all the way into the connector and lock it. Now just to check the system, close the lid and then open it up, now press the power button the system wont turn on. You can skip this step if you haven't tweaked/tinkered with the touch pad ribbon earlier.

2) Keep the system off, lid should be open and the battery in. It doesn't matter if the power cord is plugged in or not but its better if it is plugged in.

3) Ok now take a paper and put it on the palm-rest to the lower right side from the touch pad. To give you an idea, this is a 2 inch x 2 inch spot under the small sticker that says "New Revision Certified Design" and lies between the touch pad and the large sticker that shows system specs and features. Furthermore this is the very spot where the magnet in the LCD lid (located to the right side of the camera) comes in contact/proximity when the lid is closed.

4) Now take a light magnet with medium intensity, shouldn't be too strong or big and rub it in circles on that 2 x 2 inch square spot where you have placed the paper. Do this for a minute or two.

5) The paper is only optional but it is recommended as it would save the palm-rest from scratches if any.

6) Press the power button and voilà! you are done.

Moving the magnet in circles over the target area neutralizes or demagnetizes the problematic material, which can be any material near the sensor/switch or the sensor/switch itself.

Now do whatever you feel like. Close the lid while running, put it to sleep while running and wake it up by opening the lid and pressing any button, the system resumes normally and the display reappears. Now you only have to press the power button once when you cold-boot it. Power off, close the lid, open the lid and power on without worrying. And no need to go through the drudgery of RMAing it. This is such a simple solution to a problem that appears so big at first. In fact this solution doesn't even require you getting into the system by removing/lifting the keyboard and tweaking with the touch pad ribbon. Just moving a magnet in cirlcles over the area where the magnetic field sensor/switch is situated somehow rectifies the problem in that sensor/switch. I have done it myself and my system is working perfectly. I am happy now because I dont need to RMA my G53SW for repair. Those of you who are experiencing this problem, should atleast give it a try and then give their feedback. Good Luck Guys

2. Sadozai

Reputations:
    Well it seems you don't have much of a choice there. I am not so sure that a pre-built model with the desired specs would fit into your budget but you should give it a try nonetheless.

I have just posted the solution to the problem in my previous post. If you feel confident you can give it a try. Who knows you might never have to RMA it and save you the hassle, and cash you are going to shell out, for buying a new desktop.

3. Sadozai

Reputations:
    I have an observation regarding the magnet of ASUS G53SW. The magnet used in this model by ASUS, and probably other models in the ROG series too, is very strong, much stronger than the ones used in other laptops from other manufacturers. I campared the magnetic strength of mine with that of my friend's HP Pavilion dv6 and there is no comparison. Mine is so strong it attracts any material from a significant distance and holds on to the material with great force. You even have to apply a significant force to separate the material from the magnet. In comparison, the magnetic field strength of the magnet in my friend's dv6 is so weak that I had a hard time finding it in the first place. Other ASUS G53 owners will attest to that and this should give you a good idea about the strength of the magnet I am talking about.

Now this observation brings me to a hypothesis of my own.

1) Due to this strong magnetic field of the magnet housed inside the LCD lid, things are getting unduly magnetized when the lid is closed and thus causing problems.

Why I am saying this is because the problem first arose when I closed the lid and didn't use mine for two weeks or so. And my conjecture is that, due to the strong magnetic filed of the magnet in the lid the sensor/switch or any other material in the vicinity got magnetized and then opening the lid had no effect on it because the field was still there.

This also brings me to the other part of my hypothesis.

2) This problem may occur in future because the lid is closed and opened on a daily basis and sometimes the lid is closed for a significantly longer time, enough for the erratic behavior to set in.

With this observation and hypothesis, it boils down to two solutions I can think of:

1) Keep a handy magnet with you in case you need one if this problem shows up again.

2) Replace the magnet inside the LCD lid with a mild intensity/strength one. This is a permanent solution in my view.

Solution #1 is safe. It works as I have done it myself and there is no issue with it so far. As far as solution #2 is concerned I haven't done it myself and it requires a full tear down of the system to get to the LCD lid and then open up the panel and then replace the magnet. It still would involve trial and error but if this thing bugs me often I am going to go ahead with the solution #2 which would be a permanent fix.

4. Shevell

Shevell Newbie

Reputations:
    Sadozai - awesome if this works. Best low tech solution I have heard in a long while for anything.

5. john,

john, Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a problem with my Asus 1005HA that you might be able to help with.
    The backlight stopped working a few days ago so I've took the screen surround off ad i've found that if I put my finger on the screen cable and keep it there the backlight comes on. Its not the cable as I only have to lightly touch it anywhere.
    Any ideas are welcome.

6. dstrakele

dstrakele Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Attached Files:

7. john,

john, Newbie

Reputations:
    thats how I have it set but not helping. I've tried rubbing the magnet that I've took out of the screen frame around the area the switch should be but nothing either.
    The only way I have it working at the moment is with a length of wire wrapped around the screen cable insulation with the other end attached to a radiator:confused: so I'm guessing its either a earthing problem or the earth is taking the magnetism away?

Edit: Magnetic switch seems to work as the led light on the switch go's out when I put a magnet on... it has no effect on the screen though.

8. dstrakele

dstrakele Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Good troubleshooting on your part! It sounds like you're experiencing a different problem, since the magnet method IS working for other folks and you have indication that the magnetic switch is working on your laptop, but startup still fails. I agree that it sounds like a grounding issue. Are you sure the outlet you've plugged into is properly grounded? Or do you also get this behavior on battery?

9. john,

john, Newbie

Reputations:
    That's whats even stranger, even with my extra wire thats keeping me up and running at the moment if I run on battery the backlight go's out. But if I plug a monitor in, the laptop screen AND monitor work in battery mode.
    Its a really strange one.
    If I've been on it a few hours and put my hand near the keypad the screen flickers. I must be full of static!

10. BrodyBoy

BrodyBoy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sadozai,

I find your experiments and discussion about this issue really interesting...well done! :) Your hypothesis jibes with the behavior that you and others have experienced, in that the failure of the switch seems to occur after the laptop has been closed for awhile.

But virtually every laptop sits closed for at least a few weeks between assembly and delivery to a buyer. If it were only a matter of the strong magnet having too much time to magnetize a nearby object, most units would have this problem. But since it's relatively rare, I have to think that there must be another factor involved...something specific to the affected machines.

My first suspect would be the switch itself, not the magnet. I believe these are known as reed switches....in the proximity of a magnet, the tiny "reeds" inside a sealed tube move into or out of alignment/contact, such that they open & close a circuit. I'm guessing some laptops have a defective switch that isn't appropriately sensitive to the magnet. If this is the cause, your magnet solution works because you're manipulating the switch into it's opposite position, something the integrated magnet can't do. Furthermore, if this circuit uses a pin in the touchpad cable, that would account for the impact of removing the cable....it cuts the circuit completely and voids the action of the switch.

If any of that is accurate, I suppose there's good news and (maybe) bad news. The good news is that it identifies the defective part causing the problem. The bad news is that part is likely integrated into some other perfectly good component, so the only way to replace the switch is to replace that component. And that means either buying a part (for the DIYer) or RMAing the whole laptop. :(

Do you feel this "add-on" hypothesis is compatible with yours, and with the faulty switch behavior you've seen? (Of course, it's also possible the magnet is affecting some adjacent component, and THAT is what is disrupting the switch function....and the switch is not faulty.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.