Mafia II

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by wahad, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wahad

wahad Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Demo is out on steam, around 1gb with 10minutes of play time but timer patch already exist :), I'm downloading it atm, at 70% :). As far as i can see on other forums, optimisation is great, of course without physx...

Full will be out 27. august :) so what's your expectations 'bout this game?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/50130/

2. LaptopNut

LaptopNut Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Another title that recommends a Quad Core Processor. I wonder how well it makes use of them. I am downloading the Demo right now so thanks for the headsup. It will be interesting to see performance, CPU percentage utilisation and gameplay.

3. AboutThreeFitty

AboutThreeFitty ~350

Reputations:
    I only played about 10 mins of it before I have to go to work. It played well even on my ATI 5650 and looks pretty good. I love the feel of it, feels like an instant classic. Driving felt like I was drunk at first, but like most games I'm sure you get used to it. Shooting and moving felt natural and the use of cover works wonders.(Far better than GTA 4 cover system)

The very quick time I had with the demo left a nice impression. I'm going to buy the game, just don't know if I'll be getting it for the Xbox or PC.

(Going to see how the Xbox version plays/looks later today.)

4. SomeRandomDude

SomeRandomDude Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I hope the driving is a bit less realistic this time.

5. Vitor711

Vitor711 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Performance is astounding (again, without Physx though).

I can max it out at 1920x1080 on my laptop and it never dips below 30 bar one massive explosion in the middle.

Game looks decent, if not spectacular (at least when you're outside, the interior sections fare better), but the gunplay feels great with the shots having a real impact to them and decent particle effects/destruction, even without the dedicated Physx. Driving is also really solid and I'm hopeful for the full game later this month.

Performance may have edged out my purchase decision for this instead of Kane and Lynch 2 (the latter didn't perform great on my rig despite being a 60FPS game on consoles).

6. Vitor711

Vitor711 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They have a 'realistic' setting and 'normal' mode as options for the driving. I haven't used realistic yet but normal lets me handbrake and drift around every corner while still giving the cars a nice, weighty, period feel.

7. ettornio

ettornio Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I too played the demo earlier, and I think it's a great game. However, it would seem that the whole PhysX aspect has taken a backseat when it comes to optimization. For me, the game does not dip below 40 FPS at 1920x1200 with AA + AF off without PhysX. PhysX enabled well... it's a slideshow. It's an average of 20FPS. I think Nvidia needs to do some more work on this game with drivers and PhysX optimization, because other PhysX games such as Batman: AA I could play with everything on + PhysX on High.

Oh for reference, my spec:

C2Q Q9650 @ 3.0GHz
    2x 9800m GTX SLi
    4GB RAM

Note: SLi worked fine using 258.96 drivers, to my surprise.

8. agusman

agusman when the going gets weird

Reputations:
    is Mafia I worth it? or should I go straight to this one?

9. AboutThreeFitty

AboutThreeFitty ~350

Reputations:
    If you pre purchase Mafia 2 on Steam you get Mafia I for free. Loved the old one, but if memory serves correct, the graphics were pretty bad.(May be better on PC though.)

10. Huskerz85

Huskerz85 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Pre-ordered the game for PC with release-day delivery from Amazon. Too bad though it's for my desktop (don't have a lappy capable of running anything good).

Will have to check out the demo here in a bit to get some impressions, but if it's anything like its predecessor, am expecting a great story and engrossing atmosphere (the music really helped with that on the first game...).