Macrium Reflect Installation/Usage Guide

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, May 11, 2017.

1. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Macrium Reflect Usage Guide:

Here is how to create a bootable Flash Drive and partition it to have a single USB Stick containing both the Macrium Reflect Rescue Disk and a Backup Image partition in that rescue disk itself. So if you have a large/fast USB Flash Drive, you can use it to both boot into the Macrium Reflect program without installing and use its second partition to create a backup image of your computer

What I usually do when I buy a new computer, the moment I turn it on and before even getting into the Windows setup wizard I boot straight away to the Macrium Reflect Rescue Disk, create a full backup of the local disk including all its partitions. That way I always have a backup of the untouched factory image should I ever need it in case I changed my SSD later or had an issue that prevents me to use the local restore option

Macrium Reflect Rescue Media ISO v7.3.5555 (with RAID support and cloning to dissimilar hardware supported).

Bug fixes and Improvements v7.3.5321 - 3rd November 2020

• Macrium Task Scheduler
      • If a scheduled backup was missed without the option 'Run the task as soon as possible after a scheduled task is missed' enabled, then the Run Now button would stop working until the PC was restarted. This has been resolved.
      • Scheduled backups running on startup were starting too quickly, without giving network connections time to initialise. This has been resolved.
      • The Macrium Task Scheduler now keeps extra copies of its internal configuration files to prevent failure on corruption.
      • When trying to import a scheduled task with a definition file path that doesn't exist, Reflect will now prompt to Browse for a different definition file.
    • Rescue Media Builder
      The Windows Version of the WinRE kernel could be incorrectly displayed. This has been resolved.
    • Reflect Monitor
      ReflectMonitor.exe could fail to launch at logon and prevent notification of running backups. This has been resolved.
    • Backup Log
      A Consolidation 'Warning' error could override a 'Failure' error for a backup and incorrectly display a Warning icon instead of Error. This has been resolved.
    • License Key
      We've added 'copy' functionality for the license key displayed in the About dialog

Use RUFUS to make a bootable USB Flash Disk from it

Note: I never install Macrium Reflect, I only boot from the USB Flash Disk to create or restore images. That way I have none of its bloated services running in the background.
    Be smart...be like Spartan.. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    ninedragons, Papusan, PDUB72 and 13 others like this.
  2. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    Macrium Reflect can, on rare occasions, have some issues with damaged drives, this is where I would recommend AOMEI Backupper.

3. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    Been using it for years, never had an issue. Who in their right mind would even think of backing up their systen onto a damaged drive anyway [​IMG]

This thread is not for discussing what's best anyway, it's for those who want to learn how to properly use Macrium Reflect :rolleyes:

Papusan, toughasnails and SimplyJ3sse like this.
  4. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    Ah I didn't mean who is best.

I mean when I had failing drives, a few minuscule times only AOMEI managed to clone the drive, but Macrium didn't.

Not to hijack your thread Phoenix :D

5. STINKY10306

STINKY10306 Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks nice guide

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  6. sona

sona Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for this guide, very helpful and precise. :newpalm:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Spartan@HIDevolution and Vasudev like this.
  7. Rick77

Rick77 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks @Phoenix .
    Very clear and concise.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  8. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is there a simple way that boot a Macrium image in VMPlayer or alternatives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. craig71au

craig71au Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Phoenix, love all the hard work you do for everyone on this forum around the 2 minute mark you talk about setting up libraries, any chance you can do a quick guide for that including one note/one drive backups. Greatly appreciated thanks

10. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    Sure but if you can elaborate more on what you mean.