MacBook Pro with Retina - Impressions from a Windows Guy

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by ZoinksS2k, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fzrashid

fzrashid Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Truly impressed by the graphics power of the GT650M. Now I only have to decide between the Sony VAIO Z3 and the MBPR. Please let us know if you plan to keep the macbook or move to Z2, my purchase will depend on your output :)

2. ZoinksS2k

ZoinksS2k Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    ^ Don't do that. I'm some random dude on the internet.

I've taken some videos that are uploading now, which will take a while.

MBP+R vs. Z2
    • Boot Camp/Windows vs Windows boot times
    • OSX vs Windows boot times

Noise
    • Win running AIDA Stress Test
    • OSX playing Portal 2

3. Malgrave

Malgrave Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Even with the sheet battery, the Z is only 3.5 lbs. So there is indeed a big weight difference. To be honest, this is the only thing holding me back from pulling the plug on the MBPR. Just how much do I want the discrete GPU and the retina display and am I willing to put up with a sore shoulder to get it?

4. ZoinksS2k

Reputations:
    To be fair, you would need to lug the PMD around for all things to be even.

5. Malgrave

Malgrave Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This should be a really easy question. If you're going to run MacOS, get the MBPR. If you're going to run Windows, get the Z3. Keep in mind that the killer feature of the MBPR is the retina display, and that Windows apps will not be updated to use it properly.

Also, with the Z3, make sure you try before you buy. As Zoinks has said, lots of people love the 1080p display, while lots of others (including me) find the resulting text way too small. And the Z2/3 keyboard has very low travel, which I personally find annoying. So definitely do a serious trial in a store before laying out your cash.

6. HLdan

HLdan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This!!▲▲▲▲▲▲

As much as I think it's a great thing that Apple created Bootcamp for the Mac, not just so you can run Windows but the fact that you can have an "All in One" computer for those that will plan to use both OS's ;)...., I can easily see Apple moving away from being "dependent" upon Bootcamp to get more Windows users to switch.
    Time is passing and there's hardly much you can do on Windows that you can't do on the Mac OS. Retina Display may be just the beginning because unless the other PC manufacturers start implementing this functionality into Windows machines then Windows apps won't be updated to work with Retina and it's becoming obvious that Apple is slowly starting to drop support for Bootcamp and Windows.

7. ZoinksS2k

Reputations:
    ^ Simply not the case in a corporate environment. For end users? Sure, but not in the enterprise.

8. HLdan

HLdan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm not getting your point?

9. ZoinksS2k

Reputations:
    ^ You said apple allowed boot camp to get users to switch. I'm saying they have to keep it to satisfy corporate users.

In other news, VIDEOS

MacBook Pro 15 with Retina vs. Sony Z21 - Windows Boot Time - YouTube
    MacBook Pro 15 with Retina vs. Sony Z21 - OSX vs. Windows Boot Time - YouTube
    MacBook Pro 15 with Retina - Windows Fan Noise - YouTube - Skip to @ 1:09
    MacBook Pro 15 with Retina - Portal 2 - YouTube Skip to @ 5:00

You may need headphones. I don't have an external mic for my Sony a77, so sound quality sux

10. HLdan

HLdan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hmm, not really. The majority of the corporate world still uses Windows machines plus other than specific software pertaining to a select company most software in the corporate world is on both platforms. Think what people generally do in the corporate world on a daily basis, they run Microsoft Word, Excel (which is used more the most) and show Powerpoints. Bootcamp isn't required for any of that. The iPad is what Apple is using to move into the corporate world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.