MacBook Pro with Retina - Impressions from a Windows Guy

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by ZoinksS2k, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrm998

rrm998 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. Malgrave

Malgrave Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As another Z2 owner, I'm amazed at the size comparison pictures. The 15" Mac Pro really isn't that much bigger than the 13" Z2.

Unfortunately it's just enough bigger that it would not fit in my small Timbuk2 messenger bag.

3. steelbom

steelbom Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for this info mate! Do you have any plan to run a few games on it in either OS X or Windows? I'd be keen to see some frame rates. If not, oh well :p

4. maven1975

maven1975 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, at 125% its vey much like the Z at 1080p.

5. Hybr1dz

Hybr1dz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nice, thanks for the link!

It terms of footprint, it doesn't seem that much bigger and it's certainly thinner than my 2008 Z590 that I'm looking to upgrade. Still a tough decision for me at this point over the MBP+R and the new VAIO Z. I'll probably hold off for the Haswell refreshes.

6. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
  7. thomaskc.dk

thomaskc.dk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And as expected there is a huge difference between native and any of the non native resolutions. for a gritty game like BF3 its all good. But the scaling as we are used to it still happens it seems, which is good to know. No retina display for me! :)

8. Karamazovmm

Reputations:
    I couldnt see blurring, thus I still find an interesting proposition to get a next year model.

if you are talking of fps and res, there was no doubt that only a few undemanding games could be run on that, I dont know what were your expectations.

9. ZoinksS2k

ZoinksS2k Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I will do this later. Being a windows guy, I am accustomed to using Aida64. What is a suitable analog on the OSX side?

The fan noise is noticeable, but there is no hint of motor whine, just air being moved. I think I said this in another thread, but the noise reminds me of a sleep sound machine.

If in a pinch at a noisy hotel, you could load up Portal 2 to catch some sleep ;)

Sorted, minus the keyboard backlight. The Z2's backlight is much more yellow, with the MBP's being white, which I prefer. While the MBP doesn't have a bespoke app to control the duration it stays on, there are dimmer keys which is a major gripe I have with the Sony.

In person, the Z2 looks and feels smaller. The MBP+R is waaaay heavier than the Z2 even with the sheet battery, like, it is a problem it is so heavy. Now I haven't compared the specs in this regard, so my previous statement may be BS. I do, however, feel like a wimp trying to move it around and I am 6' 190 pounds. This could well be an indication that I'm a pansy

Text is still smaller. Boot Camp defaults the setting to 150% which causes some programs to render blurry. Tip #2 is to check mark the XP setting in the advanced options (see screen cap in post 1). This keeps apps and dialog windows from showing blurry, but 150% causes some gadgets to misbehave. An example is TopProcess, which I love. Is is effectively broke at 150.

I didn't plan on doing this, but since I can't sleep, I'll get some screen caps to illustrate this along with photos comparing screens with the previous PPI champ, the Z2.

10. Karamazovmm

Reputations:
    Pansy hahahaha, i carry the same weight everyday on my mbp 13 :p

but indeed the vaio Z2 is waaaaaay lighter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.