MacBook Pro with Retina - Impressions from a Windows Guy

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by ZoinksS2k, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Okay, btw, can you test Metro 2033 and Crysis 2 @1600x900 and @1920x1080 max'd DX11? I wonder if the 1GB would impact performance

2. ZoinksS2k

ZoinksS2k Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Here you go

[​IMG]

3. SLR722

SLR722 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for all your input on the new MBP+R! I've been relentlessly searching the web for days, waiting for Windows Gaming benchmarks and results.

A few questions, whenever you have a moment:

1. Do you have Battefield 3 or the demo you can test benchmarks on?

2. I've never owned a Mac before, but I've been interested in getting one for a long time. I have a 4+ year old gaming PC that I built myself, that surprisingly does fine for the games I play (mainly Starcraft 2, Blizzard games, Battlefield 3). Only thing I've upgraded since I built it in Oct. 2007 is the video card to an ATI 5770 1GB.
    With that said, I'm getting bored of windows, as all I do is browse the web and play games on it. I get bored with tech often, and I'm looking for something new (hence, watching to switch to OS X).

So my question is, have you had any extended gaming sessions with it? In your experience with notebooks, is the heat a MAJOR issue? Reason being, it is my intention is to replace both my desktop (hookup the macbook to external monitor when home), and my gaming laptop (Asus G51-J - which I almost never use). I expect this MBP+R would be plugged into my 22 inch 1080p monitor and playing games about 80+% of the time.

As I said, my desktop has a ATI 5770 1GB which runs BF3 just fine at 1080p, so I'm assuming this much newer 650M should at least be on par, no?

4. ZoinksS2k

Reputations:
    I am unable to compare performance with your hardware and I wont be doing too many specific game tests. Doing so will take too much time. If somebody else can run these, I can add them to the main post.

I don't plan on replacing my main workstation which is where I game. I have a GTX 680, so anything else would fall short.

While I haven't made up my mind to keep the MBP+R yet, I can tell you the things I am balancing to make a decision.

1. The screen is fantastic, but the text in windows is so small, using it means you have to be very close to it. Putting it on a table more than three feet away from you would make the text unreadable.
    2. The keyboard, while good on its own, doesn't make windows easy to use. I specifically miss the discrete delete and backspace keys.
    3. The MBP already struggles in battery life compared to my Z2. In windows you can only use the Nvidia GPU, so it will eat the non-replaceable batteries. I can easily go 12 hours on the Z2.

5. ZoinksS2k

Reputations:
    Boot Camp Tip: Have the thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter connected when installing the Support Software. You'll have to reinstall BC to get it recognized if you don't.

6. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I may have missed them, if that's the case then ignore, but any chance you could get internal temp readings like you would for a normal laptop using the CPU and GPU built in thermal sensors? doesn't look that toasty from the outside though, hot but not that hot.

7. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    I'd also very much like to know this! Just by running WEI bench again with HWMonitor running in the background would tell quite a bit about the cooling system.

8. yun

yun Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How is the fan noise of new MBPR? I bought a MBP 2011 and let it run windows 7, The noise was like a jet engine when it was under load.
    I watched apple's presentation, it's quite impressed that they did research on the thermal system.

I have read so many reviews but none of them mention about it, do you mind to share your thought? Especially when you run 3D mark vantage on it .

Thanks a lot

9. navedoo

navedoo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Awesome thread I cant wait to get mine! :D

10. Hybr1dz

Hybr1dz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Awesome thread and I appreciate the fact that you're a Vaio Z user since I'm currently on the fence about both. Any possibility of taking size comparison pics? Would also be great to see a backlit keyboard comparison.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.