MacBook Pro with Retina - Impressions from a Windows Guy

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by ZoinksS2k, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If playing games is a priority, a Mac is not what you want. If you want to play with OS X, build a Hackintosh or pick up an old Mac on the cheap. It would still be far cheaper to have two machines with one that can game really well and have OS X around for tinkering.

2. Klimmi

Klimmi Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm just amazed by the smoothness of OSX and the battery life. Win8 is a desaster to me concerning the user interface. These to arguments are probably the major ones (besides the great manufacture, others may call it "design") that make me think of a macbook pro...
    BUT I have to say that the Zenbook seems to be the better option for me though...
    I just hoped you guys could give me a comparison of batterlife on Windows 7 or 8 between those two notebooks.

3. darkloki

darkloki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Newegg.com - ASUS Zenbook UX51VZ-DH71 15.6-inch Ultrabook

I don't do anything lower then 15 inches, won't do it.... I'm not certain I see the gains of this system over a entry level macbook pro retina 15 inch. The HDD at 128 at that price is disappointing if there is a better place to get this then please inform me but I'm not seeing it right now. But with a macbook pro retina I get an aluminum system, with a better screen and OSX with windows Bootcamp, so I'm not quite buying in yet.... :confused:

4. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For that price the Zenbook needs to have 16GB RAM and a 256GB SSD.

5. darkloki

darkloki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As I stated earlier I'm not buying in and I don't see the value in that ASUS notebook at the moment. I'd like to think newegg prices are generally pretty good... But getting the 15 inch version is not easy, it's not commonly stocked. a 13 inch version matches up with either a macbook retina or the Macbook Air, I'd say Air because again the screen here is in NO COMPARISON to a retina screen. And again, not seeing the value at all.

6. Raphsody

Raphsody Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I'm considering buying a mid-2012 Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2.3GHz and run Windows 7 64-bit. The most important thing for me is to get as many rows and columns in Excel as possible (Office 2010, 64-bit) and that's why I'm considering the 15" retina display. Can anyone confirm that (Windows) Excel 2010 64-bit, and for the matter, Office 2010 64-bit, operates properly with the 2880x1800 resolution (i.e., fonts and images are crisp and not fuzzy)?

Thanks!

7. Judas68fr

Judas68fr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guyz!

I wonder if any owner of a standard MBP has tried to overclock its GT650M to compare with the Retina's one, and see how it went with temperature.
    I was first thinking of buying a rMBP (mostly for working, internet, listening to music and watching movies, but also for occasionnal gaming on Win7 w/ bootcamp), but I though that maybe the std MBP with the HD screen was a better solution (better cooling, ability to change ram and greater choice of SSD's, and the GT650m is a mid-range graphic card, I think the 1680*1050 resolution will bring a better gaming experience).

Any idea?

8. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    actually the rmbp has the better cooling, but yes you can try, the 650m is less heat intensive than the 7770m from 2011

9. darkloki

darkloki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've generally been a windows guy, but migrating to OSX has been wonderful for me. I generally use Windows at the office, and OSX at home as OSX hasn't been known to be all that great in accessing virtual machines, or dealing with large amounts of data running an Oracle Server or something along those lines.

But Everyday general work combined with downloads of torrents and things of that natures (Media) has been great on my Macbook Retina :) And Office 2011 works great on my Macbook Pro.

10. Judas68fr

Judas68fr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, but I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that the new MBP (classic ones) had the same cooling system as Retinas (in the link they quoted Ifixit I think). So logically, they should have a better temperature, as the case is bigger, the airflow might be better no?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.