MacBook Pro with Retina - Impressions from a Windows Guy

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by ZoinksS2k, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fasteddie

fasteddie Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, but the speed in using MBPR SSDs in Windows may be different because of the way Apple handles the PC BIOS...

2. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    you know you can edit your original post rather than reserving multiple posts

3. ZoinksS2k

ZoinksS2k Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I've done a bank of tests on the SSD already and with two versions of the AHCI driver; Apple provided and latest Intel. I tend to be obsessive in this regard.

I've got a batch of stuff ready, gimme a bit. Gathering some surface temp readings

You know you don't have to comment when it doesn't impact you rather than boosting your post count, right?

4. fasteddie

fasteddie Newbie

Reputations:
    No hurries, thanks for the information! Look forward to it. :)

5. truciet

truciet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Please do let us know about the ssd speeds. Previous gen's were automatically set to IDE...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

6. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    i wasn't talking about post count, just makes the thread messy. dont care about post count.

7. fasteddie

fasteddie Newbie

Reputations:
    Most vBulletin forums have max character limits per post, which is why it's standard procedure for people to "reserve" posts #2/3/4/5 in many forums. Plus if it's broken down by post/section it looks a lot nicer.

8. Answer348

Answer348 Newbie

Reputations:
    Could you explain how you were able to use AHCI with Boot Camp? Is this something that now works easier on the new Macbook Pros?

9. office5280

office5280 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1. do you think scaling down the resolution would affect performance? (improve? or worsen?) (during intensive graphic tasks: 3-d modeling/gaming)

2. Which scenario in your dpi scaling / resolution tests did you feel was most comfortable for working with?

10. ZoinksS2k

ZoinksS2k Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You missed my point, but when threads are in multiple segments, it makes them easier to link and thereby consume. This is not to mention the maximum post length limit or other finer niceties. I am aware of the ability to edit since I too have been on these forums since 2006. If you were to look at this thread in particular, in fact, you'll note I did indeed edit a post before you added your critique.

Dunno, the Boot Camp drivers installed an IDE and AHCI driver. If that is new, you'd have to tell me, but the drive seems to perform OK. Upgrading the AHCI driver to Intel's latest does have a consequence, more on that in a bit.

By the numbers:
    1. Yes, performance will increase at lower resolutions. The overall workload for the GPU is lessened. Scaling calculations are not computationally significant, so there is a overall gain. The cost comes in the form of clarity.
    2. I'm liking 2880x1880 at 125%. Not everyone will, the text is still VERY small.

I'm working on the next section now...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.