Macbook Pro - Replace battery?

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by gibson00, Sep 3, 2020.

1. gibson00

gibson00 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi all, I have a 2015 MBP 13".
    Today the computer wouldn't turn on, even after trying all the different tricks online. Even when plugged in for a long time.
    My power adapter cord had split and started to fray, so went and bought a new 60W magesafe 2 charger.
    Plugged it in and the computer did power up. But I am getting odd battery behavior.
    It was showing a charge, like 8%, but then if I moused over it and clicked on it it suddenly went to zero percent. When I click on the battery it says to replace soon. Then 5 minutes later it is showing 25% and seems to stay there even when clicking on it, but still says replace battery.
    So is it really just a replacement battery I need? Just grab a generic off amazon?

Thanks!

2. Vaardu

Vaardu Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I wouldn't grab a generic from Amazon for a few reasons. And it mostly is reliability and what could go wrong with the no-name brand battery in your Macbook. iFixit has a kit to replace your battery you can get and they're usually recommended.

There's a utility to check if your battery health is really going bad, called CoconutBattery.

3. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have had great success with the batteries from amazon. Do your research first, and you should be fine with a battery from there. I have them in 4 notebooks now and all run fine, with no ill effects.

4. Nerof44

Nerof44 Newbie

Reputations:
    You should be able to find the replacement procedure on ifixit. Sometimes you need to swap the bottom case when replacing the battery.