MacBook Pro 17" Review (Early Santa Rosa, 4GB, 160GB 7200rpm, Hi-Res Display)

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by circa86, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ichigo

Ichigo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The eSata expresscard question was directed at Skulkorp due to his signature, and I thank him for his response.

I asked you about TF2 because it was in the picture you posted.

2. circa86

circa86 Notebook Virtuoso NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    it plays fantastically at the full 1920x1200 res without issues, and is an absolute blast.

3. Ichigo

Ichigo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    With bootcamp right? The picture with TF2 in the dock totally threw me off.

4. circa86

Reputations:
    yep, running in bootcamp that is just screen sharing, you can easily screen share a PC as long as it has a VNC server installed.

5. Jiten

Jiten Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Fantastic review, circa86. Although it was a late model, I really enjoyed your detailed write up!

@jjahshik32,

I do have a question, since you owned both the original old Santa Rosa Merom 17" and the new SR Penryn. What were your impressions between the two 17 inchers? What were the notable improvements/diffrences between the old Merom MBP and your new Penryn unit?

I'm about to get a new 2.6 Ghz, 17" but a friend of mine is offering to sell me his barely used 17" 2.4 Ghz MBP at a low price so I'm trying to decide which to take. :eek:

6. circa86

Reputations:
    thanks, I appreciate it.

if you are going to get the 2.6 ghz penryn with Hi-Res LED screen I would go for the LED screen if you can, but if not, I would go for the cheaper 2.4 model as long as it is in mint condition, because the performance difference will be minimal, however, if you can afford it, always go for the best you can.

7. cdnalsi

cdnalsi Food for the funky people

Reputations:
    That's a great review circa!

If I may ask, what's the wallpaper you're using? It totally looks like it's about to come out of the display! Love it! :D

8. jimmy-floyd

jimmy-floyd Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    circa86
    thanks! great review, rep +.
    As you have said you are working in film production. i am going to do some semi-profi films/presentations in 1080p, full hd for my company and going to buy MBpro, i have 2 questions:
    1) Which camera would you suggest to buy : Canon HV30 or HF10? or maybe other one?
    2) What is better - MBpro 15" (considering that i will take mbpro sometimes with me) + Apple Cinema Display 23" Full HD or just MBpro 17"?

9. circa86

Reputations:
    both of those Canon's look like excellent cameras, it is really just a matter of what software you will be using to edit, and if you want to deal with MiniDV tapes or not.

as far as computers go, it is hard to go wrong with the 1920x1200 display of the 17" MBP, so that would definitely be my recomendation, but I am a little biased, haha.

10. dit_xi

dit_xi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Circa, awesome review! Thanks for taking the time to do it. One question, have you had a chance to use the DVI port to hook up to your HDTV? I went to the local Apple store yesterday and spoke to one of their "genius". The guy told me that all you need is an DVI/HDMI adapter and that's it. I asked him what about the audio part, the guy said that no audio cables are needed. Sounds weird to me. I didn't get a chance to actually lay my hands on a MBP because there were too many people there waiting to play with it and I didn't have the time or patience to wait for my turn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.