Macbook Pro 16 Very Slow Performance with OLED TV 55

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by syngress, Dec 31, 2020.

1. syngress

syngress Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hardware:
    - MacPro16 with i9 / 32 DDR4 / 512 SSD /Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB
    - LENOVO Y540-17IRH i7-9750H 32GB QVO2TB GTX1650-4GB
    - 1st screen LG32UD99-W
    - 2nd screen LG OLED55CX TV 2020

Hi everyone, a few days ago I became the owner of a new LG OLED55CX TV.
    Due to the parameters of this large display (120Hz screen), I decided to buy it, I will use it for work (mostly coding).

Connecting my new LG screen to a Lenovo Legion laptop (GTX on board with Ubuntu), I was not disappointed, everything looks super sharp, the desktop is super smooth, I'm very pleased. Desktop with Windows on board with 2x GTX 1080TI also do the work.

The situation is different when it comes to the Apple laptop with latest OS (Big Sur).
    I have completely poor desktop performance of the graphics card when I connect such a large TV (I mean dekstop, open prgrams, mouse movement, etc. it's all not smooth how it should be).

Now first thing is that 55 inch screen is detected by MacPro as 61 inches with (3840x2160) LGTV SSCR, so so it seems to me that Apple is not detecting hardware correctly.

I use multiport USB-C to digital AV (HDMI) apple adapter. Apple provides the following parameters: 3840 x 2160 on 60 Hz for it.

I try to turn off automatic swith of GPU in OS battery options, but still .. GPU performance is very poor.

Have any of you had similar experiences and somehow managed to solve the problem ?

Best,
    Syngress

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    etern4l likes this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Could be an issue with switchable GPU. I don't own any Macs but I few Windows 10 PCs with Thunderbolt display producing worse display performance and had to always use HDMI which is wired to nvidia dGPU otherwise intel iGPU causes laggy performance.
    Another reason could be Apple USBC adapter cannot/isn't supporting high refresh rate of LG CX.
    My only concern would be, how is the display performance on MacPro connected to HDMI/USBC adapter? Is it laggy like MBP?

3. syngress

syngress Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't quite understand this question ;)

MacPro works fine when disconnected from the TV, desktop is very smooth.
    For some reason, the problem appears when connected to such a large TV :-|

4. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Could be a driver/OS issue since you're observing the same issue on MBP 16 and Mac pro.

5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Seriously? OLED for coding? Occasional, I presume, or do you want to put those counter-burn-in measures to proper test?

6. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    What's wrong with OLED? I thought they were the best looking displays? (haven't seen one in person yet but would love to have an OLED screen for my next laptop)

Vasudev likes this.
  7. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    No high refresh options, risk of burn-in, and color gamut and power consumption that fluctuate wildly depending on the content on the screen and how brightly you have it set.

Aivxtla and etern4l like this.
  8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This + motion stuttering without interpolation (which causes artifacts). Overall I still love OLED on a TV, those blacks and contrast can't be beat, but I would be weary of using this for heavy desktop work due to the inherent risk of permanent burn-in .

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    Vasudev, Aivxtla and saturnotaku like this.
  9. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    LG OLED panels in TVs which are supplied to Sony and others unlike a standard OLED use a RGBW color filter over white oleds (basically red/blue/green OLED stacks to make the composite white OLED layer). They’re more burn in resistant but even those despite protection like pixel shifting I think burn in was seen in on 2 TVs by 16 weeks and all 6 TVs by 36 weeks in a Rtings site test if I recall, do take in to account this is like 20hrs a day so not a normal use case. In fact LG was embarrassed by burn in at a TV trade show and an airport in Korea had to replace OLED TVs in like 3 months due to burn in from static contents 24/7. Granted these are more extreme use cases at like max brightness and 24/7 use.
    https://m.hexus.net/ce/news/audio-visual/119942-lg-oled-tv-burn-in-woes-evident-trade-show/

OLED for regular TVs for home use is one thing where content and brightness is usually dynamic and protection mechanisms can hold off burn in decently and you likely won’t see any noticeable burn in for years.

However for a computer monitor where you will have lots of static UI elements and likely used longer per day than a TV, burn in could be a real issue / is a more real concern. Not to mention the more resistant RGBW panels I don’t think are used in monitor and laptop OLED panels.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    Vasudev and etern4l like this.
  10. Vasudev

Reputations:
    OLED might be actually good when you pair with dark mode background with white fonts and you can code for longer w/o getting fatigued.

etern4l likes this.