MacBook Pro 16” 2019

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by iMbaQ, Nov 12, 2019.

1. reptileexperts

reptileexperts Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There are a few on YouTube for the i7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my experience the extra 200 is better spent in the gpu to go to the 8gb or hard drive depending on your needs. Once I get one of my resolve projects off my dead XPs tonight and the tech replaces the boards in it I’ll do a resolve render comparison on the 8750h vs 9980

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2019
  2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I would probably just get more ram. Honestly the i9 models should all start at 32gb given that its soldered. I guess once bootcamp is available and we have access to more gaming benchmarks it will be easier to tell.

Spartan likes this.
  3. reptileexperts

Reputations:
    Yeah, the ram situation was crappy because the 32gb variation was going to increases price 400 which is ludicrous. Most my work in divinci resolve and final cut or capture one and photoshop can maintain with 16 for my needs.

Not happy that Bootcamp is apparently not ready. Was going to instal windows this evening. What I can do is run a shadow of The tomb raider bench since it’s Mac ready and compare it to the xps 1050 ti maxq but I won’t be able to compare the external egpu

4. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Is it just me or has Mac Sales really increased really due to 2 factors: a) Better specs and design. b) People getting sick of Windows 10, one problem after the other, things going backwards for Microsoft, they fix one bug, and bring 3 or more bug to the table for the past few years.

Microsoft blocks Windows 10 Version 1909 Update due to Realtek Bluetooth Radio drivers

5. reptileexperts

Reputations:

For me it was hardware reliability that brought me back. Windows I am use to patching and fixing and updating and repairing. . . But replacing laptop motherboards once every few months *dell* makes it kill the process for me. Now I was going to get the asus dual screen laptop for my mobile editing station, but ended up spending the same amount on a nice Mac so you finally get more value for your dollar on Mac versus a production type laptop on windows.

Spartan likes this.
  6. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    What I love most about Mac is even if I did have to format, there is nothing for me to backup, everything is on iCloud like my photos, docs, music, etc. The moment I format and sign in, just wait for a few minutes and I can start using my computer, no drivers to install, no updates, no tweaking, it's ready for use! With Windows I need at least 3 hours of work to even get started. Let a lone the fact that you never have to format with Mac I just formatted because I was trying new stuff left and right on a brand new OS to me. But the integration is out of this world, like how I could be on a website in Safari, if I swipe up in my iPhone I can see that same site and access it right away without having to email myself a link.

electrosoft likes this.
  7. reptileexperts

Reputations:
    Time machine backup or bust? Lol. We have project files that are massive for video edits. Catalogs that are large thanks to high resolution images. So I have a dedicated Ssd external that is a TM backup for our Macs (my wife never touches the windows environment she is Mac 100%)

Spartan likes this.
  8. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have a feeling that 97W charger can't handle the 9980hk I'm ordering. I want it to reach 9900 non k performance if possible like my omen. This means upping power limits and undervolting (if it can reach 80w without throttling I'd be glad :D). I'm going with the 5300m to decrease heat on the single heatpipe and getting 32GB is a must on big projects in 3ds max, adobe premier pro and even gaming.

9. reptileexperts

Reputations:
    My 9980H requests high wattage but it only gets around 58-65 at its peak.

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  10. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Damn, going to have to see if throttlestop can do something about that in Windows :D

BTW does the back cover cooling mod actually help temps?