MacBook Pro 16” 2019

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by iMbaQ, Nov 12, 2019.

1. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wouldn’t want them to add 0.5mm (possibly more going by the product) just for that - seems excessive. Personally I think this is an overblown security issue but if people are worried, they can just use tape instead of those products (not as elegant of a solution sure...).

(The reason I feel it’s an overblown issue is, it requires quite a large compromise for them to take over the cam, so much so that the compromise is enough to even key log everything I do. I’d rather they stare at my ass than scrape all my passwords, read all my emails etc, but that’s just me :)).

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I don't know what works for Mac OS X, but the solution is simple for Windows and Linux:
    • Windows: disabled the webcam in Device Manager
    • Linux: sudo modprobe -r uvcvideo
    I would be surprised if you couldn't do something similar in Mac OS X. Either of the above options is easier and better than using a cover or tape.

Would anyone even notice if they didn't break out a set of calipers for measuring? The freakish obsession with thin and light is very damaging to the entire industry and ultimately results in the production of compromised products.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  3. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    LOL you'd be surprised how many people think that disabling in device manager isn't enough.

I don't run AV programs, cover my webcam, etc. It has been fine for me for years. I think people just need to be more careful what sites they visit and what they click.

kojack and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    100 percent truth

ssj92 likes this.
  5. kylera

kylera Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    And if you’re going to attempt something that could bring harm to your computer, might as well do it on a secondary or a VM.

jclausius likes this.
  6. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Seconded!!

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  7. vsherry

vsherry Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have an interesting issue that perhaps someone here can help me with. After I deleted the separate volume on which I had installed the Big Sur beta, the Mac still required me to hold down option to find the original volume, and startup took longer just like it did when I the dual boot set up. Well, I reinstalled Catalina on the original volume, which allowed the Mac to go straight to the remaining volume as it should have, but startup seems permanently delayed. It takes like 20 seconds for the Apple logo to appear, and somehow the Mac retained that old startup sound Apple is apparently resurrecting. I just want it to boot up as fast as it did before I installed Big Sur on the separate volume. Any ideas?

8. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Did the volume drive letter change when you installed big sur?

9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Bigger NVMe drives >4TB takes longer to POST since PCIe init time is longer.
    If you have DBs like Postgresql, Mysql etc.. you can disable the startup and go for on-demand service start using terminal.
    Maybe you can use something like Ventoy with refind ISO https://sourceforge.net/projects/refind/files/0.12.0/refind-cd-0.12.0.zip/download

10. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    I had the 4TB SSD on my previous MacBook Pro 16. It booted instantly and initializing an NVMe SSD is the same regardless of the capacity. An NVMe drive is an NVMe drive. Period. :rolleyes: Also, he said that didn't happen before so obviously the capacity isn't the culprit of the slow boot here.

jclausius and Aivxtla like this.