MacBook Pro 16” 2019

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by iMbaQ, Nov 12, 2019.

1. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wouldn’t want them to add 0.5mm (possibly more going by the product) just for that - seems excessive. Personally I think this is an overblown security issue but if people are worried, they can just use tape instead of those products (not as elegant of a solution sure...).

(The reason I feel it’s an overblown issue is, it requires quite a large compromise for them to take over the cam, so much so that the compromise is enough to even key log everything I do. I’d rather they stare at my ass than scrape all my passwords, read all my emails etc, but that’s just me :)).

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I don't know what works for Mac OS X, but the solution is simple for Windows and Linux:
    • Windows: disabled the webcam in Device Manager
    • Linux: sudo modprobe -r uvcvideo
    I would be surprised if you couldn't do something similar in Mac OS X. Either of the above options is easier and better than using a cover or tape.

Would anyone even notice if they didn't break out a set of calipers for measuring? The freakish obsession with thin and light is very damaging to the entire industry and ultimately results in the production of compromised products.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  3. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    LOL you'd be surprised how many people think that disabling in device manager isn't enough.

I don't run AV programs, cover my webcam, etc. It has been fine for me for years. I think people just need to be more careful what sites they visit and what they click.

kojack and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    100 percent truth

ssj92 likes this.
  5. kylera

kylera Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    And if you’re going to attempt something that could bring harm to your computer, might as well do it on a secondary or a VM.

jclausius likes this.
  6. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Seconded!!

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.