MacBook Pro 16” 2019

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by iMbaQ, Nov 12, 2019.

1. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Maybe portability and chassis design but not sound quality. No manufacturer can get even close yet. I’ve done so many speaker mods to laptops, adding subwoofers, bigger speakers etc. I’m an audiophile, I love my bass and surround sound quality all in a portable package. I can tell you there is nothing that will beat it in this form factor! You have to hear it to believe it, that’s all I’m saying. @Spartan knows what I’m on about.

2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No laptop has good sound quality anyways. If you are an audiophile (as I am), you would pump your computer through something else. I have full array of PSB speakers throughout my home. I take a bluetooth speaker with me when I travel. Laptop speakers are only for listening to something if NEED be.

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  3. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I move my laptop around quite a bit, university and other places. So I don’t have a dedicated speaker setup, plus my room is too small for that anyways. Yeah your right through, if I had a chance I’d go with dedicated speakers, no laptop can compete with that. But for watching YouTube or listening to some music whilst working the MacBook Pro 16’’ speakers are quality. Got the bass, mids and highs on point. Bass level is continuous no matter what volume I set, which is a first from a laptop! Those two woofers really do something...

4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Right on. yeah, I have the PSB powered speakers with subwoofer in my office, and the full alpha AV setup in my living room and my media room downstairs. Both driven by pioneer elite receivers. Great sounding. On the road I would either take my earbuds, headphones or UE bluetooth speaker to use.

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  5. slind

slind Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm now at the point where I really think I'll have to use the 16" in Windows full time. I like Mac OS a lot, although I've been using both OS alongside each other basically forever. But it's completely nuts that I have to buy a 4K+ screen to get smooth fonts on Catalina. Sitting in front of a perfectly fine AW3418DW, but 3440x1440 looks like complete garbage font-wise. One thing I'm worried about is the Touchbar. It's basically static for me in Windows because it's displaying the same buttons all the time. Already seeing myself coming here complaining about burn-in in a few months ...

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I would just sell that and buy a windows laptop. Save a crap load of money and have a better notebook

7. slind

Reputations:
    I get your point, but there just isn't a Windows Notebook for my needs. They are all either 1080p and have dull screens or 4k and the battery lasts half as long. I also value the MacBooks (now) excellent keyboard, trackpad and speakers. And sadly, while visiting a client, sadly they often value you more with an Apple on your device. It's totally stupid, but still the case unfortunately.

8. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    What is wrong with the fonts on your AW3418DW? We use Dell U2717D's at work and have not had issues with fonts on Catalina with our Macbooks. Have you tried enabling subpixel rendering on MacOS?

As far as the touchbar goes, I am sure you can always RMA the machine if you experience burn in. I also imagine that Apple has some kind of anti-burn in code for the touchbar, even on Windows.

9. slind

Reputations:
    There isn’t any for 2560x1440 / 3440x1440. The font rendering below 4K resolution is completely broken. On my 2717D as well. The fonts are extremely small and thin + jittery. Enabling font smoothing only helps to
    some extend.

10. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    I set my DPI scaling to 1536x960 and I have clear fonts and super sharp everything. That level of DPI scaling is the best as it is exactly half the resolution which results in a 1:1 scaling ratio.