MacBook Pro 16” 2019

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by iMbaQ, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Here is my Apple 4TB SSD Benchmark:

MacBook Pro 16 4TB SSD Benchmark.jpg

ssj92, alaskajoel, Darkhan and 2 others like this.
  2. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Well, I officially returned my 16.

Going to apply new thermal paste, fresh install macOS Catalina, and perhaps order a new battery for my 2013 and see how I feel.

Might wait til next year to order another 16. It was 2x faster in CPU intensive tasks and also in rendering but everything else felt the same. Couldn't really justify $2,900 for that.

Also I got pissed one day I lost my USB-C dongle and couldn't use one of my devices Type-A one day lol.

hmscott and jclausius like this.
  3. Arondight

Arondight Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Might be a wise decision if you can wait, next year will have MiniLED which might me the next be jump in display quality.

4. Richard Zheng

Richard Zheng Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    To be fair, anything other than intensive CPU and GPU tasks shouldn't feel faster. As long as your 2013 has ample RAM and SSD speeds, it should feel just as fast for everything else. Hell, even laptops from before 2010 feel fast as long as they got enough RAM and have SSDs.

I hope miniLED really improves power consumption. With how hungry the 8 core is for power, saving power usage on the screen can really give a substantial boost to battery life.

I don't think the other changes will really be worth it though, it's not like the MBP 16 has a bad display in the first place

electrosoft likes this.
  5. Arondight

Arondight Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah after reading more on MiniLED it might not be that big of a deal it's not an OLED-type of revolution, just a slight improvement over current IPS panels. MicroLED is where it's at for a big improvement and we're years away from the tech reaching a thin laptop.

It seems there is a potential new issue coming up. People are reporting severe ghosting issues, and even a worsening effect of the ghosting over time on the machine

Mine hasn't shipped yet so I can't do any tests, but to the people who currently have one how does the screen look? Notice any ghosting? We could check manufacturing dates of the laptops to see if there's a pattern there with bad batches or something.

I hope this doesn't turn into a huge recall mess and that it's either a software issue or limited to a very small amount of units.

6. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I noticed the ghosting in store and immediately upon receiving on my unit. At first I thought it was only me noticing it or that maybe it was just normal for this panel, coming from a Dell Inspiron 7577 with a great 4K panel that was pretty smooth compared to the MBP16. At least on Macrumors I’ve heard some say some units were noticeably better than others. It’s not too terrible for me in daily use but in games like DoTA2 it’s a bit noticeable when compared to the Inspiron, not as bad as some people are facing so too lazy to re-compare mine to other MBP16 units at the moment but since I have 60 days to return, I may exchange for another.

I hope yours is ok....

Future MiniLED panels on laptops actually could be pretty huge, with brightness and uniformity. Also contrast since this is effectively like what you see in regards to local dimming in an FALD type TV.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019 at 11:28 AM
  7. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    That's the plan, waiting for next gen 16" then I'll probably switch. Already ordered new battery, need to repaste and reinstall and it'll be like new.

Yeah but even things like start up was faster on the 2013. You'd think the 2019 with an NVMe class drive boots faster too. I tested this multiple times to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

Either way the 16 is a great device, just not $2,900 great for me to replace my 2013 lol.

I ended up buying some other things instead with the return...(8-core CPU for desktop, projector, RAM, SSD, HDDs). Basically beefed up my desktop. Maybe I should try hackintosh now on it.

electrosoft, Darkhan and hmscott like this.
  8. Spartan

Reputations:
    so my little daughter threw a ball at a small water bottle which was next to my MBP 16, the water bottled spilled onto the keyboard and the laptop shutdown instantly and was fried. It is now at the Apple Store in Dubai Mall they will probably replace it under the Apple Care+ Warranty which includes accidental damage.

9. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Damn, on the plus side I’ve had my MacBook Pro for 3 days now. Liquid metal was applied 3 hours after testing. A tutorial is going up soon (with detailed pictures ofc) let’s just say I was infuriated by how Apple applied the thermal paste, especially on the damn cpu!

Edit: This laptop has the BEST speakers I’ve ever heard period, no msi, no Clevo nothing can beat this quality, I was so impressed when I played a movie trailer, deep bass 40-60hz range, mids and highs were on point.

I can’t be more happy about the features but the CPU.... it’s still being bottlenecked by temps and power :(

TheDantee likes this.
  10. Spartan

Reputations:
    That's for sure. I can't believe how good the speakers are considering the size of the laptop. Even gaming laptops like the Alienware Area-51m and others can't even come near this. This stomps over any laptop audio I've heard before. It's the perfect multi-media machine I can say for watching YouTube, Movies, video editing, etc.

TheDantee, Aivxtla and DaMafiaGamer like this.