MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2016) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Mobius 1, Nov 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Sid Roy

Sid Roy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sounds Good! Till which period do they recover after the date of purchase?

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well good on Apple for finally coming to its senses and offering this coverage.

electrosoft likes this.
  3. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    At least June 2017 (Enacted around WWDC), but it may be retroactive to existing AppleCare coverage on the new body Macbooks (2016+). The only way to truly figure it out is just to schedule an online appointment to take it in and have them take a look and review your options.

4. sammaccom

sammaccom Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for answers! I will directly go and will update news.

5. Ricardo V

Ricardo V Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I created a petition to ask Apple to issue a MacOS High Sierra Software Update to support HEVC 10-Bit hardware decoding in the AMD Radeon Pro GPUs, making the MacBook Pro Late 2016 support HEVC 10-bit hardware decoding.

Please sign here:
    https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/hevc-10-bit-hardware-decoding-in-macbook-pro-2016

MacBook Pro Late 2016 featuring AMD Radeon Pro GPUs does support HEVC 10-bit Hardware Decoding. This means that the vast majority of HEVC videos (coded in 10-bit) can benefit for hardware decoding in these machines and can be watched flawlessly, when compared to software decoding (which makes videos playing sluggish).

When playing HEVC 10-bit videos in Windows 10, via Bootcamp, hardware decoding from the AMD Radeon Pro GPU is used and the video is beautifully played, with very low CPU usage.

MacOS High Sierra does not use AMD Radeon Pro GPU capabilities for video hardware decoding in general. It just use Intel Core processor capabilities. This means that MacBook Pros Late 2016, which feature Intel Skylake processors, are only capable of hardware decoding HEVC 8-bit video. Leaving the 10-bit ones for software decoding, thus almost unplayable.

6. sammaccom

sammaccom Newbie

Reputations:
    so the coverage for cosmetic defect only applies with an apple care +. so it is only available is US and Japan. Canadian just offer the apple car plan is not enough... they ask me 600$ to fix the cosmetic defect= screen replacement. im very disappointed, I can't even ask a 250$ fix.