MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2016) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Mobius 1, Nov 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    1. There are several third-party applications available for MacOS. A simple search will direct you to them.
    2. There are many Mac-compatible games available on Steam and GOG. Outlast is one of them, but Bloodlines is not, at least not officially. It is possible to run it with WINE. Or you can install Windows and run it either natively through Boot Camp or in a virtual machine with programs such as Parallels or VMWware Fusion. Older games usually run pretty well in a virtual environment, so that's the avenue I'd explore first. Just make sure you have enough hard drive space to accommodate a full Windows installation if you can't get WINE to work.
    3. As above, there are plenty. Transmission is probably the best one.

2. AnnekeVanG

AnnekeVanG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well that answers those questions, thank you. I literally cannot stand the headache with Windows laptops anymore, the desktops are great, but no company on the planet seems to even come close to Apple's laptop build quality and quality control compared to the previous and current Windows laptops I own. I know Apple's pricepoint might seem crazy, but when I need a reliable machine for 4-5 years of school, spending $3000+ on machine I am using every day is worth it.

3. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    I had a 2011 MacBook Pro has my daily driver for 4 years, and I'd say it was the best computer I've ever owned. It was sleek, stable, and had surprising gaming chops for its time. It had a couple issues, but they weren't anything a trip to the Apple Store didn't cure. Had Apple seen fit to equip the current MacBook Pro line with a NVIDIA GTX 1050 or better GPU, I'd have been all over it. External GPUs are becoming increasingly viable, but that's another $500+ on top of an already very expensive computer that I'd rather not have to deal with, at least until my current MSI gaming laptop irritates me to the point where I can't stand it any more.

4. AnnekeVanG

Reputations:
    Thank you!! :)
    I do get a decent education discount on MacBook Pro. My last question, where the hell are all the ports on the new MacBook pro?

How do I hook up my headphones, all my external hard drives, my preferred (gaming) mouse?

Does anyone actually utilize thunderbolt 3?? For real...

5. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    There is a headphone jack, but you will need something like this to get USB, SDCard, and Ethernet connectivity. You'll also need a USB-C to your preferred display output if you want to connect to an external monitor. One thing I love about the MBP is that you can connect the AC adapter to any of the TB3 ports. This would be amazing if I were traveling for work as much as I used to.

Apple's choice of I/O is far less offensive than what's on the Surface Book and Surface Notebook, IMO.

6. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
    3:40 to 7:10

7. AnnekeVanG

Reputations:
    Wait... the SSD is soldered on the MacBook? Does that mean if the hard drive fails someone at their genius bar has to replace the whole motherboard with cpu and ram???

8. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    On models with the Touch Bar, it is soldered. On those without, it is removable.

9. AnnekeVanG

Reputations:
    I am processing a return on my Dell XPS 15, going to try out this whole Mac experience for the first time.

10. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    If you order from Apple, they have a good return policy. It's only 14 days, but it's no questions asked. Should you decide to keep it, I would highly recommend purchasing an AppleCare extended warranty. You can add it any time during the first year of ownership, and it's a three-year plan retroactive to the date of purchase, obviously. If you're in the US, but the warranty from someplace like Adorama Camera or B&H Photo and Video as it's cheaper than what Apple charges. There's a code in the package that you enter to tie the warranty to your serial number.

Unless you're dead-set on a Kaby Lake/AMD RX 5XX model, you can save yourself a few bucks by buying a refurbished Skylake/RX 4XX model. They carry the same warranty as new and can even be extended with AppleCare.