MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2016) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Mobius 1, Nov 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    OSx86 your P870DM...i'm sure that would be a fun project. I had osx86 on my M18x R2 and it ran beautifully, better than macs did in fact. Of course, it takes a lot of patience and tuning to get it all right, osx86 is very complicated.

electrosoft likes this.
  2. darkloki

darkloki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wow, I wonder if it can run stable on a Razer Blade. I really enjoy the OS and the ease of use for everyday things.

3. Raidriar

Reputations:
    You can run on the blade, but you would not have access to the nvidia GPU in OS X, only the intel integrated graphics. We haven't found a way yet to get optimus type systems working in OS X. dGPU is another story. 980M works fine in OSx86 since I have it to output directly from the 980M and intel HD disabled.

4. darkloki

darkloki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wait you mean 970 right? I dont think the 980 was ever in the Blade

5. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
    I think he used macos on the 980M equipped machines

6. Raidriar

Reputations:
    I mean 980M in my M18x R2, it works fine in OS X. the problem with the blade is its use of optimus. Apple/Macs have their own proprietary implementation of GPU switching that nobody has been able to figure out, and as a result, only the integrated intel graphics works, and we patch the discrete GPU out so it doesn't heat up or eat battery life when contributing absolutely nothing to Mac OS.

7. Refaelc

Refaelc Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    Can I ask you if basic Macbook Pro 2016 with i7 is good enough for occasional editing domestic FullHD videos please?
    I starting first time with a notebook.

8. Raidriar

Reputations:
    Any computer from this day and age can edit 1080P video, just depends on how fast you want it done......

electrosoft and Vasudev like this.
  9. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:

I guess it would take a while since the macbook will thermal shutdown every 5 minutes.

10. AnnekeVanG

AnnekeVanG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, so I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15 4K, and have a history of owning gaming laptops. I do a lot of serious photo editing work on Photoshop, and every Windows laptop I get, either the battery life is not sufficient, nor do the PC laptops calibrate color properly, nor do they get bright enough. And now the scaling issues...

But because I am actually getting paid to do my photo editing work - the importance of quality and performance is way more important to me than gaming.

I have used Windows all my life, and custom-built desktop computers, never touched a MacOS in my life. I am considering the top-tier Macbook Pro that my design university is recommending. It's brighter, lighter, less reflective and more easily calibrated than my current 4K XPS. And I won't have to deal with scaling issues. But I have a a few questions...

1. I am an audiophile - do the MacBook Pro's have the capability of playing FLAC files?
    2. Can I get Steam, GOG on Mac? Only games I play are older ones like Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines (from 2003) and FPS horror like Outlast. I am not a serious gamer at all.
    3. Are torrent programs available for Mac?