Macbook Pro 13 alternative - what should I buy

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by lowrider, Oct 21, 2019.

1. lowrider

lowrider Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, I've been using a MacBook pro 13" with windows 10 and been loving the form factor and build quality. I now need to get a new device and would like it to be as close to MacBook pro 13 as possible. I'd appreciate advice on top notch laptops in that category strictly with windows 10. Below I paste my criteria
    START COPY
    1. ==========

General Questions

1) What is your budget? 1000-1300GBP

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
      UK

1. 4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
      a. Like: ASUS, ACER
      b. Dislike: DELL, HP
      5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? If they come with official warranty and are in mint condition possibly

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Word/PowerPoint/excel/light video editing

1. 7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
      Both

1. 8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) not really, i have a gaming pc for that. Laptop is mainly to be portable capable for work and sleek looking

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? Not a deal breaker for me as long as it can last 4-5 hours

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? If new no need to see, if refurbished I'd at least ask for more pictures

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Windows 10 and maybe linux in dual boot

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.) at least FHD or higher if possible. Don't care about touch screen

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) not sure... What looks sleeker?

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Yes

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? 256gb ssd more than enough

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? In 1 month

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? At least 5 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? A month maybe

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? The latter is fine

==========
      END COPY

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I think the Dell XPS 13 is the most analogous. You may find some better pricing the Dell UK Outlet if you don't mind a return. As long as it's not marked scratch and dent, it should look new and you'll get a warranty directly from Dell. Perhaps the LG Gram and ThinkPad X1 Carbon are worth a look if you want to stay away from Dell.

lowrider likes this.
  3. lowrider

lowrider Newbie

Reputations:
    Any comments on the asus zen line?

4. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    No, not really as I've never seen one unless I walked by it at Best Buy. You might want to poke around the Asus forum if interested to see what the owners say about it. I have seen a couple XPS and they seemed like solid machines to me.