MacBook Pro 13 - 2018 high end vs 2019 low end?

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by saturnotaku, Oct 1, 2019.

?

Which MacBook Pro 13 should I get

1. New 2018 high end ($1,400)

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Used 2019 low end ($1,000)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I've been thinking about following in @Ultra Male's footsteps and getting rid of my Lenovo Windows notebook in favor of a Mac. While the Lenovo is better for gaming, I did get into the GeForce Now beta, so I can stream and get good performance in more modern titles. Other games I play that have MacOS ports are much older (2004-2012) so they shouldn't have any trouble running on a system without a dGPU. I would otherwise be using the laptop for basic content consumption and Office applications.

I have two options in front of me, both with 8 GB of RAM. One is a used but excellent condition 2019 base model (1.4 GHz i5, 128 GB SSD, 2 Thunderbolt ports), which I can buy for $1,000. The other is a brand-new 2018 high end (2.3 GHz i5, 256 GB SSD, 4 Thunderbolt ports) for $1,400.

Pros of the base model include the price, updated keyboard, and a processor that should run cooler and quieter while offering a minimal performance hit over the high end. The latter's advantages are its greater CPU and GPU power, more onboard storage, and extra I/O ports. The latter point really appeals to me because it's nice to have the extra flexibility to plug the laptop into either side depending on the machine is situated. However, I'm uncertain as to whether or not the older model's extra features are worth a $400 price premium.

Opinions are appreciated.

2. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Without thinking twice, I'd go for the higher specs if it has a warranty that is then upgrade the warranty later so you're covered. The CPU speed difference alone is worth it. Don't give me no low end 1.4 GHz non-sense.

saturnotaku likes this.
  3. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    The 2018 model is brand new, sealed in box, and includes a receipt for adding AppleCare+.

4. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Then it's a double non-brainer. Don't settle for some low end crap that you know you will have buyer's remorse later and will hate how sluggish it is. You see the reason I never was tempted to dive into MacOS when I tried it was that my wife bought a very low end MacBook Air 13" that was slow as a snail so it didn't temp me to do anything on it.

Glad we are joining the MacOS Team together :D

5. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    The bigger SSD should also have twice the throughput as well if its the same as the Mac Mini's we have at work. I think the 4-port models also have a higher TDP that the 2-port models, which should help with performance.

Spartan likes this.
  6. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I agree with new 2018 vs used 2019. SSD is soldered so bigger is better.

7. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    I purchased the new 2018 model with a 256 GB SSD but exchanged it today for one with 512 GB. The extra $200 was a bit painful but will be more worthwhile in the long run. Still in the process of getting it set up, but not having to deal with Windows 10's BS is proving to be very nice thus far.

MBP-1.jpg MBP-2.jpg MBP-3.jpg

Spartan likes this.
  8. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I say one year to the next isn't worth sweating.

9. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If comparing like models, Between 8th and 9th gen CPUs not much of difference/gain, pretty much a rehash, that’s pretty much the main difference between the 2018 and 2019 MacBooks. Considering even the 2019 model is on the keyboard repair bulletin it doesn’t matter which one you go for. Therefore if you can get a better specced 2018 model definitely go for that.

10. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    I'd like to direct you two posts above yours. ;)

Also, the 13-inch MacBook Pro is still using Coffee Lake CPUs. The next refresh of this model will almost certainly use Ice Lake. The question is timing. There are rumors of an event this month where Apple will announce a 16-inch MBP, which would play a role similar to what the iMac Pro does with the standard iMac. This would make sense so they could get them on shelves in time for the holiday season.

Aivxtla likes this.